Can you be 'safe enough?' - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Can you be 'safe enough?'

Hi, I've recently been looking a lot into getting a bike (probably a F2 or F3), but i'm a little concerned with the saftey issues. Both my parrents are doctors and worked in the hospital, they are really against me getting a 'donor cycle' because of all that they have seen. But from what i've gathered, if you take the classes, ride a bike you can handle, know what you can/can't handle, respect your bike and the roads, and wear the right gear, you can be safe enough to be able to ride without worries. Does anyone have any insight on this? It's not just my parrents (i'm 20) but i wouldn't want to ride if it was really a death wish waiting to come true.

Just yesterday i was on I-70 and i saw a bike (not sportbike) and i took notice, since i've been thinking of getting one. Then a guy in an SUV cut across 2 lanes of trafic and cut the guy in the bike off (from what i saw he was about two feet infront of the bike). This was going around 70 mph, and luckly the guy didn't get hurt. I pulled up next to the SUV to give him some dirty looks, and the second my window met his, i saw him take a sip from his budweiser... seeing people like that make me wonder if it's safe or not.

That rider seemed to know what he was doing... but what if that was me. I'd hope that what i will have learned in the MSF class would be enough to help me in that situation, but if that wasn't the case, would a good set of full gear (including every body part covered, good helmet and armor and all that) be enough? Or would a beginer with MSF training be able to controll that situation... from what it sounds like that's what they teach you. I have an urge to get a bike, but not unless i can at least be as safe as i can driving down the road in my Civic SI. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 10:16 AM

I hate to say it, but he could have just as easily clpped someone in a car and at 70mph it would be easy to see said car lose it and then we are talking the whole miles of stopped traffic/life flight/etc. Are you sure he was drinking a bud? What an ASSHOLE!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 10:34 AM

There's that famous saying "A coward dies a thousand deaths, but a brave man dies but one".

Are you going to quiver and hide behind your steering wheel forever?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 11:06 AM

Depends on your attention span. If you keep track of what's going on around you you should NEVER be surprised by what happens. I've ridden for 10 years and now can tell when someone is gonna change lanes before they know they even want to!! If you want to ride safe it is not a relaxing pass time. Damn worth it though, I'm not looking for relaxation anyway, fun and excitement yes.

Basically I'd say you can make it as safe as you want it. Learn to brake hard, counter-steer like it's 2nd nature, and wear some decent protective gear and PAY ATTENTION to the world around you. It all depends on you so the only way to tell is get to the MSF, get some gear, get a bike and see for your self.

Good luck, welcome
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 06:03 PM

Utilize this theory: I'm invisible, and they're all out to kill me. It's like a real life video game, with dire consequences. I assume that the "cages" don't see me, and that they will do the most idiotic things...so I keep as far away from them as possible. People that ride accept the risk. Obviously we think its worth it. Proper instruction, gear, maturity level and common sense all factor into your safety. There are really bad drivers out there. Assume that they all are...ride safely, ride wisely.....but ride!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2002, 07:00 PM

I agree with Apex, and Rick 100%...I also have been riding for about 10 yrs. total..w/o any accidents, some close calls..yes, but they were averted due to my riding experience..

I'd like to ask you, if you had a cell phone at the time of that mishap..with the SUV, if ya did, did you report him to the cops, for drinking, and driving..? I would have in a heart beat..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Risk is something we do everyday of our lives. The more freedom we have the more risk we take upon ourselves. Cycle riding is the ultimate in freedom and very fun to do. We do our best to be safe take the safety courses, wear gear head to toe, and drive defensively. I have ridden cycles since 1987 and racked up nearly 35 thousand interstate miles in the process. The one thing I have learned is to be 100 percent aware of your surroundings. Know what the cages are going to do before they do it. I cheat a little by having concave mirrors installed on my bike that way I can see the blind spots without having to look over my shoulder. At the same time I can see where cars are behind me and how close they come(tailgating). I agree with my contemporaries who posted before me, just be careful and go riding for the fun of it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 03:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by ga_skyline_rydr
Risk is something we do everyday of our lives. The more freedom we have the more risk we take upon ourselves.
this is such a true statement. life is a series of calculated risks.

however to answer your question, your civic is much safer than a motorcycle. but be careful of the dull existance.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2002, 10:44 AM

MSF is Good

First let me say hi to everyone as I am new to this board.

As for Dr. Jones question, I think he understands the concept of how dangerous bikes are. Now, as for the MSF let's make it clear, once you are done taking the class, you will "know" what you should do and how you are "supposed" to react in many common road situations and even a few emergency situations. However, just like anything new, knowing and being able to do them in real life is different. The problem when learning things is that although your mind may know what to do, unless you practice, it will take a while for those thoughts to transend into actions. So yes, you will be armed with most of the knowledge you need to be safe once you take the MSF course, but keep in mind your skills will still not be those of a seasoned vet. The key for new riders is to PREVENT yourself as much as possible from any situations that could turn ugly. That's not always possible, but when riding you should always be looking for ways to avoid all possible emergencies. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders by just asking these questions though and I would say you'd be fine. Just keep in mind the fear and concern you have right now and never get to a point where you feel nothing can go wrong when you are on the bike because that's when the trouble begins .

Sorry for being so long winded -
Rice

P.S. Oh yeah, Bikes are fun, it's not all scary, especially when you aren't riding in traffic
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-01-2002, 12:15 PM
UFO

Ride smart and alert, and you can have MANY years of FAST riding without having an accident. Ride dumb...and you WILL crash. Know when to wick it up, and when to cruise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode