R6 or Zx-6R for a beginer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

R6 or Zx-6R for a beginer

Hi there. I would like to know which of these bikes would be better suited for a newbie. I sat on both of them and really didnt like the R6s almost laying down riding position. The ninja felt very comfortable and that is the one i will be picking up tomorrow unless there is any reason otherwise. I like the more upright feel of the ninja and i like the looks and instruments better too. I want to get a bike just to have some fun and have a nice, fast means of transportation to keep the miles off of my new 2002 corvette Z06. As for my size i am 5'10" 175lbs. So i think either is a good sized bike for me. The R6 was offered to me at 9k out the door(thats including prep,tax,tags,ect.) and the zx-6r was offered to me at 8k out the door...i think the ninja is the better deal but is 8k a good price or should i seek more of a discount? Thanks and sorry if these seems like a jumble of words. Any one in my area who would like to meet to help me out is welcome also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 07:35 PM

if you are a beginner, I would recommend buying a used bike for at least the first six months. this way if you make any stupid mistakes like dropping it in the garage or while learning to ride, your not tearing up your new bike. i started with a used EX500. not the prettiest bike, but I dropped it in the parking lot and i didn't feel so bad because it already had a few scratches on it. i rode it for over a year and then moved up.
By the way, I love my 2k R6. not the most comfortable, but it will scream and handles like a dream.
z
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 10:25 AM

I don't know about NJ, but around here you can pick up a brand spankin' new zx6r for $7600 or so and talk them out of all the BS charges (except tax, of course). And the R6s are only about $400-$500 more. I am partial to the R6 if I got a Jap 4, but I agree that you should go used if this is a first. The bike WILL end up on its side at some point.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 10:59 AM

Re: R6 or Zx-6R for a beginer

Quote:
Originally posted by Z06vette
The ninja felt very comfortable and that is the one i will be picking up tomorrow unless there is any reason otherwise.
Excellent choice!
AFA price, I think you should be able to do a bit better than the price you were quoted on the 6R!

All seriousness aside, I was also had your same 2 choices 'bout a year ago. Went with the 6R because of better ergonomics, hearing of some problems with the R6 AFA shifter/transmissions, and I think Yamaha pushed the steering geometry on the R6 just a wee bit too far towards the responsive end. Folks tell me you buy a R6/R1, you better get a steering damper (more $$$)! I like Kawasaki's tendency to design stability into their bikes-if you want to quicken the steering up a bit, no problem. I'd hate to have to try to cure what I see as an instability problem from the factory-I don't really see a steering damper as a cure, but a mask.

Anywho, the 2 best things the R6 had going for it were the treatment of the rear end/undertail from the factory, and those 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals!

Like you, I liked the 6R's instruments (still leery of LCD instruments AFA reliability/repair costs), and seating position. I think you'll find the 6R also has a great intake howl, slick transmission, and more midrange torque than most 600cc bikes. I don't mind changing gears ('specially with a good tranny), but it is nice to not have to wring it's guts to get it to move!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:30 AM

welcome to kawi man have fun
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobas
I don't know about NJ, but around here you can pick up a brand spankin' new zx6r for $7600 or so and talk them out of all the BS charges (except tax, of course).
I got a signed contract to get the bike for $7407 plus tax/registration and document fee. They waived the charges for setup and for destination. The total came to a hair under 8k after all the fees.

I know I should buy a used one but I don't feel comfortable buying something as dangerous as this and have it being used and in an unknow condition as far as mods and safety concerns. I should be picking it up tomorrow. I cant wait.

I was at the track this weekend with the vette and I saw a lot of bikes run. Man do these things move. 9 sec. in the 1/4 mile is crazy. As for my Z06, it was my first 1/4 pass ever in my life and it was over 90 that day at the track but i got a 12.95 1/4 but my car should be good for low low 12s/high 11s with some better temps and some more practice.

Thanks For your help guys!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2002, 07:35 PM

Good luck with that 6r! I picked up one 3 weeks ago as my first bike, and I'm very satisfied with the decision. I've been on a friend's R6 since, and after that I feel like the 6r is quite a bit more forgiving without sacrificing any performance that I'd actually use. The 6r is comfy and just as stable as a rock.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2002, 10:31 AM

dont forget it has some bite also. ive had mine 2 months bout 400 miles & i love it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2002, 06:53 AM

another local rider YAY!

Z06vette,

looks like you live about 20 minutes away from me,.......good choice with the bike,......if u wanna ride sometime toss an email out,.....should be having a good ride this weekend prolly bout 10 guys or so going up to bear mountain,......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode