Time for Passenger? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Time for Passenger?

Here is my question which I think I know the answer most will give, but I am curious what you'll say. I rode my bike before the MSF and lowsided.. yeah yeah I know... but... since then I have logged in about 100 miles of flight time.

The bike had some electrical problems which are being worked on in the shop right now, but here is the question.

My girl asked me the other night, when talking about going to see an upcoming movie... if "we" would take the bike. Now I have barely made it into traffic, and never rode a passenger. I know now's not the time.. but how do you know you're ready for a passenger. Whats the real difference in operator requirements when there is a back seater?

Thanks all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 07:23 AM

purely subjective....
personally I logged a few thousand miles before I figured I was ready....basically make sure you're comfortable with the bike and yourself...get some time on the street, and make sure you teach her the proper riding techniques (hand placement<this one is crucial>, looking, not to act like a frog, etc...)

Hand placement:
Arms around your body, hands on the tank...this causes the least amount of pain to you under breaking...when cruising along its cool if she sits up and just holds on, but once you get more agressive in your riding, its going to be much easier on you and her if she puts her hands on the tank in front of you.

Looking:
In the beginning, look where your turning...no leaning, no leaning the opposite direction because she thinks the bike is gonna fall over, and remind her no hopping around while in a turn. As you both get more accomplished, she should begin to lean on her own naturally.

Frogging:
No hopping around ...just cause her ass isn't comfortable doesn't give her the right to turn your bike into a pogo stick.

More people will add their two cents, but this is a good start

Last edited by RedNinja; 06-20-2002 at 07:26 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
will gives some excellent advice. i would like to point out that knowing when you're ready is subjective. and for the first time out, plan something short. like a ride around the block to see if you're comfortable. if she's worth keepin', she'll understand.

also, show her what will posted. "frogging" (great term) is VERY difficult when you first ride someone. and most girls i've ridden.....errr......had on the back of the bike, move around more in corners.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 09:52 AM

my 2 cents

On the subject of instructions to passenger before riding, I like to tell anyone not familiar with bikes to stay straight up and down with the long axis of the bike. The only "leaning" they should do is to look over my left shoulder when turning left, or my right shoulder when turning right. I too had ridden a few thousand miles before attempting to carry a passenger. Remember, YOU become resposible for them. If possible, carry someone familiar with bikes first, so they don't throw you off balance too much. Hopefully your girlfriend is tiny....that makes it much easier!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Great advice from you all. Actually she is small, and has ridden back seater before. She works at Yamaha and has been out lots, plus out with her brother. I am the new rider. I just don't want to jump the gun. I gave her an "are you crazy" look when she asked, especially since I crashed once. But she said i wrecked before the class and she knows it was only because I have three testicles.

At any rate I will be waiting until I feel ok, and I am looking on the bright side. No matter how long it takes, I still get to ride, plus... when she wants to do something together I can say... sorry ababy but I gotta go ride so you can get on sooner. Yeah I like the sound of that!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode