Beginner on R6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Question Beginner on R6

I recently purchase a Yamaha YZF-R6. This is my very first bike. If I would have known riding was so much fun, I would have started years ago! I live in San Diego, CA. There are so many bikes out here. Anyone out there know where in San Diego I can ride to and meet other riders? I have been up to Palomar Mountain, but everyone seems to have there own little group there. I dont think I am ready to ride with them anyways...they get pretty crazy go through those turns. I have seen packs of well over 50 bikes riding on Friday and Saturday nights, but never when I am on my bike. I have been practicing my wheelies, but can never hold it. I would really call them wheelies...the front pops up a couple feet and goes right back down. I dont know if a stock R6 can even hold a wheelie. Any advice from someone would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 01:24 PM

Exclamation

1st..a stock R6 can hold a wheelie with a little clutch slippage.

2nd....you're buddies are probably experienced riders and if they are halfway mature they are riding around 80% of their ability which is a safe guideline. For you (a begineer) that 80% is far less. I would bet you my GSXR that if you try to stay with them you'll crash. Not to give you bad vibes It's just the way we all start. DO NOT ride to anybody's skill level except yours. You've selected a bike that is engineered for EXPERIENCED riders. Just work on what you're got in terms of getting acquainted with you're R6. Just be cool. Don't be one of these jagballs that has little experience and runs wild like a raped ape riding well beyond their ability. Just a suggestion. I think wheelies are reckless, but if you do get into that WAIT til you get the feel for your bike....

Be safe and take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode