Yeesh. I'm lost... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Yeesh. I'm lost...

...in a sea of bikes. I need some help here guys. I'm just getting into the motorcycling scene here and will be getting my first bike this summer. My dad has been riding bikes for ages and convinced me to take the MSF course, just to see if I liked it or not. Well hell, you can't peel me off of them now. I steal his bike and go riding every free moment I get. I guess he wants his bike back, so that's why he's probably pushing for me to get my own. Who knows. (It's a Honda Shadow Aero 1100 by the way)

So I've spent the last few months searching and searching for what I should do for a bike. I originally thought R6 or F4i, but both are way too small and hard on the butt for my 6'2", 230lb structure. I like my dad's bike for it's comfort and torque, but at the same time hate it because of it's weight and upright riding position. So basically I'm looking for something comfy, yet sporty. I've been having a love affair with a Triumph Sprint RS at a local dealership (fits like a glove, sounds amazing), but the 955i engine might be a tad much for me, plus the Sprint is kind of a highway bike and I'll be 99% city.

So what can you guys suggest for a bike? I know just about every post gets a reply "SV650", and they're OK but I don't know if they're really for me. I just need a push in the right direction. Thanks!

Last edited by dan0myte; 06-18-2002 at 09:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:22 AM

I would have to suggest the Honda Interceptor 800. Touque & style all rolled up into 1. The riding position is sporty but not radical. I'm 6'4" & a modest 210 lbs. It felt good to me but I can't bring myself to ride a Honda. My preference only. I believe they are good bikes .... call it a character flaw. Let us know what you end up with.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 06:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
everyone pushes the sv650 because it's that good of a bike. if i was buying a new bike today, i know my 750 would be sitting on my suzuki dealer's floor, right where the yellow sv650 used it sit.

ever think used? rf600 sounds perfect for you.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kawi jm
I would have to suggest the Honda Interceptor 800. Touque & style all rolled up into 1. The riding position is sporty but not radical.
I have to agree with you here the Interceptor is an awsome bike with comfort to spare check out the bike before you buy another you might just fall in love with it
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:44 AM

If this is a "city bike" are you concerned about it being stolen, vandalized, or knocked over? If so, then don't go new. The costs of parts for a new bike can be staggering. The VFR is a nice bike - kind of heavy for a first bike but that sounds like it shouldn't be a concern to you. The jury is still out on the new VTEC engine. Some say there is no power surge at 7,000 rpm, others say there is. Also remember that the VFR has linked brakes, which behave differently than normal sportbike brakes.

Good luck.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The help is always appreciated.

I wouldn't worry about vandalism problems here. It's a small, prairie city with barely any crime and will be locked up in my garage anyways.

I actually found an RF600 in the Auto Trader here a few weeks back, but decided not to go for it as it was purple with yellow streaks.
A little too early-90's for me. Might be a nice bike though if one with the right looks came along.

The Viffer has always been in the back of my mind as an option for a bike. Honda quality, nice power and a comfy ride. Technically speaking, excellent choice, yet I don't find myself lusting after it like I do other bikes. It's kind of like, do you take the heavy, easy to get along with, comfortable wife-type or do you take the hot blonde that might get you hurt? Hmmm....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 08:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by dan0myte
I actually found an RF600 in the Auto Trader here a few weeks back, but decided not to go for it as it was purple with yellow streaks.
A little too early-90's for me. Might be a nice bike though if one with the right looks came along.
i forgot they did that...most are red (just red) and look nice with the frame painted to match...

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Well, I should probably narrow my choices down to a few bikes, then make a decision from there. I'm looking at:
  • Honda VFR
  • Honda F4i
  • Suzuki SV650
  • Triumph Sprint RS
  • Yamaha FZ1

Any comments? I'd love to hear from riders of any of these.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode