Opinion: '90 thru 95 FZR 600 Good as first bike? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Opinion: '90 thru 95 FZR 600 Good as first bike?

I am asking for the opinion of experienced riders for their opinion of getting a 1990, or a little newer, FZR 600 as a first bike. I have very little experience on a bike and have signed up for abait, but that is a little more than two months away. My friend, that has been to California Superbike School, is going to teach me the basics. If I purchase a FZR 600 i plan on going to California Superbike School session 1 ( operating on a limited budget). I know that 600's are alot for a newbie but older 600's have less power than modern 600's. What I am wondering is if this would be a reasonable starter bike and for any advice on riding.

Thanx,
cyber_rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2002, 08:45 PM

FZR's are great! I learned how to ride on a 92'. When it came down to a bike of my own I debated between the FZR and the F2. Ended up with the F2 for a couple reasons but FZR's are good first bikes, plus slightly easier on the wallet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2002, 07:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
fzr's aren't ideal. but for a sportbike, it's not the worst choice. reliable, good looking. has enough oddities to teach you about caring for a bike. 91-2 are the best years. single headlight looks GREAT on them. the double headlights are weird.

gs500, ex500, etc. are better choices. but if a real sportbike is your choice, it's a good one.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2002, 06:49 PM

Double headlights are weird??? I think all the new bikes had a collision with a MIB (Men in Black) sized insect and lost! I think the old endurance style double round headlights are be-utiful! Not that I wouldn't trade my bike with anyone who would offer me a new bike (I would) but I do think the new bikes look strange.

Now to the newbie. I think any older 600cc sportbike is a perfect starter. I don't really agree with some of the people who has riden as long as I have. If you are on a budget, I say get the 600 because just about everyone I know that got a smaller bike (especially a twin) wanted to trade up after one season and you may not be able to afford it. The Yamaha is as good as any other. I personally think the CBR600 may be a little more bulletproof but the FZR is an excellent bike. Just remember it can spit you off pretty quick, so control the right wrist, OK?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-21-2002, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Talking

I plan on being real easy on the throttle for a few months until I get the feal for the bike.

thanx, for the replies
cyber_rider
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:35 AM

You guys are talking about 1991-1992 fzr's, what kind of price range would they fall into?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 11:44 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
91-2 fzr600's can be had in great shape for about $2500 and bargains are out there if you look.

wayne. the reason i think the duals look weird on the 600 (and 400) is because they are too big and too close together on the narrow fzr600.

i do think the old gsx-r's (before 91), fzr750/1000 (pre-90?), 93-4 cbr900rr, old zx7's, and of course the beautiful speed triple all look a lot better than the "aero" noses on new bikes. but the 600, they just don't look right to me.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:58 PM

1990 fzr

Hey everyone. I just got offered a 1990 Fzr for $900 that just needs a chain and exaust. But he doesn't know what size it is. How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000? All I know at this piont is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
Hey everyone. I just got offered a 1990 Fzr for $900 that just needs a chain and exaust. But he doesn't know what size it is. How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000? All I know at this piont is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis
From a search on this site, it looks like there's a marking on the engine for this. See the reference to size near the oil filter in this thread: http://www.fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6476

If its not there on yours, that's so specific a model question I'd just post it up over there (or on your favorite FZR forum).

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Cool You can tell by the seat of your pants . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post

Hey everyone.

I just got offered a 1990 FZ R for $900 that just needs a chain and exhaust.
But he doesn't know what size it is.
How can I tell if it is a 400, 600, or 1000?
All I know at this point is that it is a 1990 Yamaha FZR Genisis.
There should be some vehicle identification numbers on it ~ that will tell you what size the motor is . . .

If you can't find those numbers somewhere on the frame !

Then you could check tire sizes ?

Red, *<(:{)-

1998 Prostar West Super Gas top ten.
1999 Prostar West Super Gas Champion !
2000 NMRA / Prostar Pro E/T runner up.
2001, 2002, & 2003, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2004, Pro E/T #3, 2005, & 2006, Pro E/T runner up.
2007 Pro St. Legal #6, NMRA Pro E/T Champion !
2008 Motorcycle Drag Race Assoc. SS Champion !

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode