Really dumb newbie question - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Really dumb newbie question

Hello,

As my second post on this forum, I will go ahead and make a fool of myself.

I just bought my first sport bike, and have ridden about 300 miles on it. My question is, what are the different riding positions that people use on sport bikes? I mean obviously the feet are in the right spot on the pegs, and my hands are always going to be on the handle bar, but do most people on the highway actually lay on the tank? And if so, is it your stomach or chest that touches the tank?

When your going say 50-70mph, are you actually tucked in so far your looking through the windscreen, or over it?

How far is your butt/crotch from the tank/back of seat? Im assuming that it changes for different conditions, so any imput you have would be appreciated.

Last thing, I guess all this depends on what postion your arms are in, so when on the highway, do you ever have your arms strait, or are they always bent/tucked?

Remember guys, I am a new rider, and dont know anyone around here that rides sport bikes, so bear with me here.

Later,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 PM

Re: Really dumb newbie question

Nah, they're not stupid questions, but tough ones to answer because all bikes have different ergonomics (picture my VFR next to a Ducati and you'll see what I mean). Additionally, riders come in all shapes and sizes, so what's comfortable for me probably won't be for you. So, I'll do my best based upon my own experience:

feet first - balls of the feet on the pegs unless shifting or braking.

arms/wrists - elbows always bent and arms and wrists should be as parallel to the road as possible - this will alleviate stress and strain on the wrists over a long ride. wrists and hands should always be relaxed. you bike can "sense" your tension so if you're nice and relaxed you'll ride more fluidly. keep your grips light - picture holding a sponge without squeezing water out of it

I don't lay flat on the bike very often. first, it's not very comfortable unless you're getting buffeted by high winds (50-70 MPH shouldn't be too bad on your bike), secondly it attracts attention to you - something to be avoided when breaking the speed limit

as for seat position - you'll eventually find what's comfortable for you - and over longer rides you'll change positions to avoid saddle sores.

As you rack up the miles you will develop a comfortable position. the most important thing in this regard is to stay loose. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 12:53 PM

Re: Really dumb newbie question

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheridan
Hello,

As my second post on this forum, I will go ahead and make a fool of myself...
You're not making a fool out of yourself, those are pretty valid questions.

Quote:

Last thing, I guess all this depends on what postion your arms are in, so when on the highway, do you ever have your arms strait, or are they always bent/tucked?
I try to have my arms ALWAYS bent and relaxed. Having your arms straight and elbows locked will definately get you tired quickly.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 01:10 PM

I have been on a freeway ride for 3 hours straight. Not very much fun and not very comfortable either. When I have to make a run like that I put down the rear pegs and rest my feet on them while laying down on the tank. For me my gut gets in the way so I look just over the wind screen. Probobly not the best practice but it works for me.

I agree with BONK! the more relaxed you are riding the better the feel and flow of the motorcycle. Be one with the motorcycle, be one with the road.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 02:42 PM

You're gonna have to find the sweet spot yourself when riding. You have to shift and adjust depending on how far you have already gone (or how long you have been sitting on the bike) I have friends who have told me they are comfortable in riding positions I find terrible and vice versa. Depends on the bike as well.

Avoid locking the elbows and for cryin out loud do not tuck behind the screen going 15MPH

MSF class would also be a great thing to get into if you havent already.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2002, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks everyone,

I can't tell you how much of a help this site is, since basically I am the only person I know that rides sportbikes.

Also I wanted to add that everyone here has seemed helpful, which is what I'm learning about a lot of the motorcycle enthusist I've met in person.

Thanks again,
Sheridan

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:31 AM

I am relatively new at this, too. I feel most comfy out in the wind until about 80, then it's time to come down behind the screen. I have noticed a lot of wind buffeting in traffic, but I am too slow to come down behind the screen.

Off subject: If anyone in the Phoenix area knows of killer twisty rides other than to Saguaro Lake or Tortilla Flat-Let me know.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 11:49 AM

OT reply

Quote:
Originally posted by day23tona

Off subject: If anyone in the Phoenix area knows of killer twisty rides other than to Saguaro Lake or Tortilla Flat-Let me know.
Go here: http://phoenixsportbikeclub.org/forums/
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2002, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheridan
Hey thanks everyone,

I can't tell you how much of a help this site is, since basically I am the only person I know that rides sportbikes.

Have you tried the rider finder on this site?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 08:45 PM

Lightbulb Another approach

Welcome to SBW!!!

Since you're starting out maybe this advice wouldn't be the best. I ride long distances generally on my gsxr-600. One way I reduce fatigue is while cruising between 55-80mph I sit forward and lay my left forearm flat on the top of the gas tankand lean my weight agaisnt that arm while my right arm sits loose and comfy. This probably isn't the best advice (ONE HAND ON THE BARS. I NEVER do this in traffic. When I do it's in light traffic and I cover the brake.

At any rate hope that helped and have fun on that Yammer!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode