New Bike........ - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

New Bike........

What is the best bike from 1991-1996 I need so please help only want to spend only $3,000 please help I want a bike to last
PLEASE HELP RIDERS I NEED TO COMPARE IF YOU GUYS KNOW THE GOOD AND BAD ONES LET ME KNOW THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 06:49 PM

If you have 3K to spend, your options are pretty good. If this is your 1st bike ever, I would say stay 600cc and under. They are still plenty fast. You have probably already seen forums for new riders. We suggest you take a motorcycle safety course. Also, is your limit 3K including gear? If so, you need to set aside $400-$800. A decent (not great) helmet will cost you about $150. Try a HJC or Nolan. You can get some good big name (AGV, Arai, Shoei) helmets at the helmetshop.com for about $250. I also think as a minimum you need a jacket. Try ebay or newenough.com. A 2 piece suit would be better though. Plan on spending at least $250.

Now, if you still have 3K to spend, you pretty much have your pick of the 600's. I personally lean to the Honda 600 or the Suzuki 600, but they are all good to a newbie. A 1995 600 will go 150+mph, can do the 1/4 mile in less than 11 seconds (1-2 seconds faster than a Vette) and can go from 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Plenty fast, HUH! Look for one that has not been down, has less than 20K miles and has been well kept. I also would not go for one that has a lot of mods. This may indicate it has been riden harder than usual. Get a friend who has ridden a while to test ride it. Make sure he takes it close to redline. It should be smooth and not vibrate alot. You should also ride it (easily) to make sure you are comfortable with it.

Then plop down your money and have fun!

Remember, life is a journey...do it on a bike!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Thumbs up

...in addition to what Wayno has said also budget for Insurance,(shop around real good for this one!!).
Also ask for service records.
I shy away from custom painted bikes,this sometimes is a clue the bike has been dropped and repaired..

JIM

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
I agree with the previous two posts, and would like to add my 5 cents, that is look into a used bike for your first one if you have not already done so. You don't have to be extravagent on the gear but don't be cheap either, a happy medium. Be careful and ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode