Enlighten me, Please!!! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Enlighten me, Please!!!

Hi! I have a 1993 Yamaha Seca 600 (w/ jet kit) and 3500 miles experience with it (2.5 seasons). I would like to upgrade this summer. My question is why dealers refuse to let you test drive bikes (I have my motorcycle endorsement and have successfully completed the MSF basic course twice). I am unsure whether I want a sport touring bike (VFR) or super sport, and the dealers I have spoken with (4) basically want to sell me a $10k bike without letting me drive the damn thing!!! How does one determine the right style and bike? I don't know many sportbike riders, so that is probably not going to solve the problem in the short term. Last of all, would moving from a 600cc with about 49 hp to the Honda RC 51 with 125 hp be suicidal? I love the sound of a v-twin, but I am nervous about having the front end leave the ground every time I open the throttle. Thanks for any input you may have.

Last edited by redgofast; 06-08-2002 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 07:38 AM

Smile

Hi Red,

The dealers reasons for not allowing SPORT bikes to be test driven is purely a liability issue. Would you let an 18 year old who looks like he believes that he's immortal saddle a $10k piece of your mechandise which reaches speeds of 160mph+?

The 2 best bikes I've owned, I never test rode...(Hayabusa, GSXR-600) If you have 3500 miles of experience and have your clutch, throttle, and shifting patterns down pat, then the RC is not a bad choice. Just accelerate with a steady wrist. "Whacking" the throttle is what induces wheelies. The RC may power wheelie even with a smooth delivery on the throttle, but it will be minimal and controlled especially if you lean against the tank and have the compression on the rear shock set a little stiffer.

I would bet you a healthy sum, that If you go ahead and buy a new bike whether it be the RC-51 or any other sportbike, you won't be dissapointed.

Regardless of what you decide, I hope you get a bike you're happy with. Best wishes on your new purchase

Take Care!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2002, 04:42 PM

Sorry dude, I've never been in a dealership that allowed new ones out for test rides. Most will let you take out a used one though. Find someone with a used RC51 or whatever you're drooling over and give it a whirl.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 08:59 AM

Sometimes you can arrange a demo ride through the dealer. Triumph and Buell are fairly good about this, and the Bandit I currently ride was a demo bike. I've talked to other dealers who say they can arrange it also, but I've never actually taken them up on it. As mentioned above, most will allow rides on the used bikes so tnat may be your best bet.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 10:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
probably the best thing to do is show the dealer that you ARE serious about the purchase. this involves cash.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-15-2002, 11:49 AM

I was very lucky. The dealer that I bought my first bike from let people have test rides as long as they have a motorcycle license. For my second bike, they let me ride 3 different bikes and asked if I wanted to sit on anything else My husband and I have bought 4 bikes from this dealer and have test ridden each one including his Hayabusa. I would check out other dealers and see what their policies are before I just bought a bike.

Good luck with your shopping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode