Which one? ex250 or ex500 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Which one? ex250 or ex500

I did a search, but I couldn't find a concrete answer on this question.

I REALLY want an YZF-R6 or CBR600F4i, but I have ZERO riding experience. I'm also saving up to buy a house so spending $8000 on a bike would do some damage.

SO, I thought I'd start with a 250 or a 500 for a little while until I feel comfortable enough to upgrade to the bike I REALLY want
  • Based on monthly payments and insurance, I'll be paying around $100 extra a month for the 500.
  • Once I get more comfortable, I'd like to use my bike to commute which is 90% highway riding.
  • I don't plan on keeping this bike long term (over 2 years) ... as soon as I become a "proficient rider", I would like to get a 600. I'll be in a better financial situation then anyway.
  • Speed or power isn't an issue. I want a less powerful bike to learn how to ride correctly, not to get fast quarter time.
My question is... based on those statements which one should I get? The ex500 or the ex250?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 10:03 PM

How tall are you? Weight?

I'd say the 500 if you're gonna spend that much time on the highway UNLESS you're really small like <130 or <5'3".

Both would be great to learn on though so if 100/mo toward the house is gonna help the 250 is fine unless you're >190 or >6'0"

Welcome
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 10:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by apexismaximus
How tall are you? Weight?

I'd say the 500 if you're gonna spend that much time on the highway UNLESS you're really small like <130 or <5'3".

Both would be great to learn on though so if 100/mo toward the house is gonna help the 250 is fine unless you're >190 or >6'0"

Welcome
I agree with the above reply. Would like to add if you already have not thought of it to buy a used bike for your first one. Just kind advice, welcome aboard and may the wind be at your back.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 03:02 AM

Go for the 500 (I'm biased, though).

Seriously, you won't be as comfortable on the highway on the 250, and you might get bored with the 250 quickly. The 500 has a little bit more to offer.

Definitely buy a used bike. Lots of people start out on EX500s--you should be able to find a 99-01 with low miles, maybe a bit dinged up, but for thousands less than new. I got my '99 last year for $3K with a new rear tire (original had a nail in it) and 18 months left on the extended warranty that the first guy bought. It's scratched up, but that's one less thing I had to worry about (putting the first scratch on a new bike)!

Jenny
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 03:05 AM

I forgot to add...

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Jenny
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 03:34 AM
Dad

Get SOMETHING if you're so inclined... but the 500 for all of the above reasons... and not the 600 or better for the reasons you said. Good luck.

Keeping the "Hap" in "Happy Holidays"!

Regime change begins at home.

Blind patriotism is worse than no patriotism.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great responses.

As for height and weight, I don't think either one would be an issue. I'm 5'6" - 150lbs.

I was a little worried about highway riding w/ the 250. I heard the light weight makes it a little unstable at higher speeds.

As for buying a used bike... that's definitely an option I've been thinking about. However, I'm not very mechanically inclined so I might have problems with an older bike.

Also, Kawasaki is having a "0 down, 0 interest for 6 months" financing promotion for new bikes until the end of June. 7.99% for the remaining 18 months. It sounds like a decent deal.

The only problem I have with that is, I'm not scheduled to take my MSF course until August (all earlier dates are booked). I won't be able to ride my bike off the lot.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 12:23 PM

Not a big deal...I didn't ride mine off the lot, even though I already had my license...it was raining and they're on a busy street.

If you live close to your dealer (<50 miles), they'll probably haul it over to your house for free.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 06:54 PM

250 or 500

This really is going to come down to personal preference since the 250 will run 95 to 100 <or more depending on rider weight> without any problem while giving ya 60 to 70 mpg under normal riding. Wind does affect the bike but isn't a dangerous thing.

I'm 6'1" and 180 lbs and 53 yrs old and my little 250 hauls my butt around quite nicely in the normal world and pisses off lots of larger bikes in the corners on the race track. PLUS it cost $3600 out the door. It has 12,000 miles on it now <1999 model> and has been trouble free.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 10:19 PM

Re: 250 or 500

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikenut
and has been trouble free.
Then why does it say broken down under your picture????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode