Motorcycle license test was hard... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Motorcycle license test was hard...

Hey everybody. I just took the skills portion of my motorcycle license test and damn if it wasn't harder than I would've thought. Either that or I'm not as good as I thought. I've never taken a MSF course but I studied the little MSF practice booklet that came with my bike and the cone weave part was totally different on the actual test. In the booklet it shows you to set up a single row of cones with 20 feet between them and weave....I practiced that and did ok. But on the test, there were two rows of cones with about 10 feet alternating spacing between the cones and about 5 feet between the rows. Damn it was hard to maneuver my ZX-6 in there.

One guy told me that a Ninja wasn't the best bike for doing this. I got throught the first 3 cones but had to put down my foot for the last 2. I ended up failing the test because of that and when I did the u-turn part, I went across the boundry line. I was suprised by how hard the bike is to turn and stuff at slow speeds (10-15 mph). At highway speeds, it'll go wherever I want but not slow. Maybe there are some techniques I just don't know about. I've had this bike for almost 2 months now and feel fairly comfortable with handling it but I never tried weaving slowly and stuff. Did anybody else have any problems passing their skills test? Any pointers??....I always appreciate good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 03:55 PM

I took the MSF course and they supplied the 250 nighthawk. The manuverbility on that was amazing, just like flicking a bicycle. So passing the test was a breeze. But if I'd taken the course on my GSXR 600 that would have been a different story. If you have a friend with a lighter bike then try to borrow theirs. If not, since you have an idea what is on the test, just keep practicing.
Good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 04:22 PM

1] take the MSF since they'll teach you a few good techniques for slow riding. They'll also teach you a bunch of very usefull street smarts/survival strategy that is hard to pick up anywhere else.

2] the test is rediculous because it tests for slow speed handling which is essentially useless in preventing accidents and saving lives but it's all they can test because meaningful tests are impossible with their resources (small parking lots, liability, small budget).

3] do a search on this as it's been discussed in at least 2 threads in the last couple weeks.

good luck

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 04:25 PM

That was the hardest part for me too, hard to keep from letting my eyes watch the ground. Doing so will make ya try to fall over, proven it many times during that class.

On my license test I only got marked off for 2 things... the first was running over the last cone in that weave test. All I've got to say to those cones is .

Take the MSF, it's worth it, plus you'll learn how to do the low speed weaves pretty well (in our class you do them about 4 different ways before the actual test).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2002, 01:36 PM

Don't know about your area, but in the San Jose area there is a company that provides private mc instruction on an old Honda 250. They also have a deal for passing the DMV test. They meet you one hour before your test appointment at the DMV with their bike. You then practice the DMV test with their instruction on the DMV "grid" for up to an hour. You then go get in line with their bike to take the test and pass!! The 250 is low enough that it's quite easy to ride slowly and precisely which is what most of the test is about. While practicing, I saw a guy on a "normal" street bike (don't remember what it was) fail the test because it was so tall and he couldn't stay on the course at a slow enough speed without putting a foot down.

If you don't pass, I think they'll do it again for free. They either charged $50 or $100 I don't remember, but it was much more convenient than the MSF which I would still recommend as the best way to learn and pass the test. Look in the yellow pages under motorcycle instruction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode