New Rider and new member, have some questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

New Rider and new member, have some questions

Hi! Iam new to the whole Sport Bike world. Don't know how i got into just hit when i got shot down on getting a new Mustang GT(Drive a V6 now). don't know anything about bikes, still need to get my liense(have the handbook here at work) and still have to pick out a bike, Went to the kawisiki dealership today and looked into a Ninja 500. anyone info,website, input and flames are welcome!

Ohh also, iam 6'2 @185 lb. if that help on getting a starter bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 02:15 PM

Welcome - just do a little searching here for first bikes. Lots of info on this site. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 02:21 PM

Good luck. Heres my 2 cents. Buy a used one for your first bike, that way when it falls over you wont be so sad. It seems like everyone except a very select few drop or wreck their first bike, myself included.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2002, 02:45 PM

1. Something used if possible.
2. Something from the list of good newbie bikes, here -> https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...threadid=19625
3. Something not on this list here -> https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...threadid=19656
4. Something that leaves you with enough $$$ to afford a full set of gear.

I love my little SV650s, which I investigated on the recommendations of the lists.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2002, 11:52 AM
UFO

Take the advice given above, and please don't start out on a brand new, 750+ cc sportbike. In the end you will be a better rider if you start out on something reasonable...and you'll be alive to ride the monster bike you want later.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 06:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to ga_skyline_rydr Send a message via Yahoo to ga_skyline_rydr
Quote:
Originally posted by UFO
Take the advice given above, and please don't start out on a brand new, 750+ cc sportbike. In the end you will be a better rider if you start out on something reasonable...and you'll be alive to ride the monster bike you want later.
I agree with this thought process and that comes from a guy with 30k miles of interstate driving and has had three bikes of different types. I like my 600cc sportbike it has all the power I want and is easy to handle. My previous two bikes were a DR650 and CB750 so my present bike is the smallest and probably the most powerful. I concur with the others buy used get accustomed to it find out what can be and can not be done with it. Then if it is your preference work your way up to a bigger bike. There, that is my five cents worth, ride carefully and be safe.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeremyML
1. Something used if possible.
2. Something from the list of good newbie bikes, here -> https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...threadid=19625
3. Something not on this list here -> https://www.sportbikeworld.com/showth...threadid=19656
4. Something that leaves you with enough $$$ to afford a full set of gear.

I love my little SV650s, which I investigated on the recommendations of the lists.
Don't forget one of the best things you can do:

Get into a Motorcycle Safety Course. (or whatever they call them out there). This will do several things. Teach you the basics on someone else's bike ( why trash your own? ). Teach some important survival skills (remember, the cars ARE out to kill you).
As an added bonus, most beginner courses end up by giving you your license and most insurance companies will give you a break on your insurance. Note, these courses are often heavily booked (they're such a good idea) so book it now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode