5'4" 110 (okay 120#), What to ride? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Question 5'4" 110 (okay 120#), What to ride?

Okay, I've been on the back of bikes (everything from HD's to Sportbikes) since I was old enough to understand the words "hold on tight". Now, at 26, have the money and friends that ride all the time, it's time for me to get off the back and ride my own. Taking the MSF class in September...Question...I'm reading a lot of you giving advice for starter bikes, and I honestly think any 600 would be too big for me...my fear, the only thing I've heard recommended for ladies of my height/weight is something along the lines of little Ninja 250's....What's wrong with a 500? Too big still??? Is the response time and power enough on a 250 to get out of a jam if one is encountered? What about stability? Are they really good starters for us little girls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:02 AM
elo

Hi LadyBug!
I am not sure what seat height is exactly, but I think an EX500 or a GS500E would be fine bikes to start out on for shorter riders. Also, some of the early 1990's 600's are shorter than their more modern relatives. F1, F2, FZR 400/FZR 600, Bandit 400, all are bigger than the Ninja 250 and are all bikes I'd recommend to new riders.

Good luck!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thank you! If I heard, Little Ninja one more time...Going to look at some bikes this weekend, most likely older and definately used so I can learn and not care too much about the bike...those are models I'll keep an eye out for. Appreciate the help!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:13 AM

I ride a an older 1990 zx6 model D ninja. Its a bit heavy.

And I am also a little vertically challenged. I am around 5' 5". I tippy toe on the thing. or one foot flat and other on the peg. Is fine for me. Mine was raised by the new rear shock, so I went to a guy in SF that does custom seats. He shaved off around an inch.

But on the bad side is that this bike the Kawasaki ZX6 from 1990 - 02 are heavy bikes. being 110 might be hard for you to take the bike of the kick stand, if you are on a slope or something. Have to rock mines sometimes

Viet
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:30 AM

new bike

Ladybug,
I would have to say start with a 250, its a great beginner bike, thats what i started on and glad i did, it has little power, but it is very forgiving if you forget to roll of the throttle when shifting, and its light. I had it for about 6 months and now i have a old F1 600..im barely 5'2..sit on different bikes, see what you feel comfortable on, and dont spend to much...just in case you scratch it up..have fun!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:33 AM

Ninja 250

I have had a Ninja 250 for about a year now. It was my first bike and a great learning tool. I am 5'6 160lbs, so I was worried about seat height and weight too. It is a fun, small, easy to handle bike. The height should be fine for you since the rear shocks starts to sag rather quickly. The only complaints I have is that the bike gets blown around alot on the interstate due to its light weight and after a couple thousand miles on it, the lil 250 just does not seem fast anymore.

Other than that, it is a great starter bike and I don't regret buying one. What is not to like? It will easily break 100mph, it is great in the twisties, and most importantly, they are so cheap!

Good luck
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Can't they be shifty??

Thanks Racerxgirl, but can't the 250 be a little shifty? I've heard stability wise, I'd be better off with something a little bigger. Not that I'm not open to any and all suggestions at this point esp from other lady riders.

Not looking to spend more than 1500, the b/f wants a project and I want to learn as much as I can. Besides by the time I'm done with it, it'll need some love! I'm sure I'll scratch the hell out of it, poor bike.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:12 PM
elo

If that's your budget then you're going to get a far better bike in a Ninja 250 than any of the others I've listed. Stability-wise the 250 is fine, ALL bikes get blown around on the highway, and they do corner like nobody's business. One of the greatest strengths of the Ninja 250 is that it's so light and easy to handle, with great power delivery for a beginning rider. Very confidence inspiring, especially if you stick with it for many thousands of miles.

The bikes I recommended before are all good bikes as well, I listed them because you sound so unimpressed with the Ninja.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Trust me, I could go less, 1500 is as high as I'll spend for my starter. It's not that I'm unimpressed with the Ninja, just wanted to check out other options. So far, the Ninja is the only one looked at and researched.

Thanks again! Can't wait to start riding!!

Last edited by Ladybug; 05-31-2002 at 12:19 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 12:22 PM

bike

Lady, you should be able to find something easily under 1500..i got my old vtr 250 for 1k and then sold it, for 1k, and bought my cbr for 1k! I know some people..so it helps..check out all the bike stores in your area..and also talk to the people at the shops, they know whats out there and whats coming in usually..check out cycletrader.com also..elo..do you race or do trackdays? If so, where abouts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode