6'6" rookie on a sport bike??? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Arrow 6'6" rookie on a sport bike???

In couple of months I will have saved around 4,000 bucks. I dont know really what I want or what I need. But, I've always wanted a bike every since i can remember. I thought you guys could help me out with my purchase.

I need a large bike I know, I'm 6'6" & 185 Ibs. What do think I would be more comfortable on. I dont want to look like a polar bear riding a tri cycle if you know what I mean.

Thanks,William
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:33 PM

I'm 6'3" and I'm having a problem fitting bikes also. There are taller bikers out there, trust me. Standing at 6'8", the chief instructor of all instructors at the MSF Street and Dirt classes rode by our class on a Yamaha R6. I guess if he can ride it comfortably, I won't have much trouble. Myself, I'm looking into buying a Honda CBR F3 in the next 2 weeks or so. It's a very comfortable bike and fits like glove. The main problem I am having is with finding a riding jacket. I am tall and lanky, and my arms are too long for a good fitting jacket. I've ordered the Fieldsheer Titanium Air Jacket in L and it should fit me, according to recommendations from some online friends. I hope I don't have to send it back

Jim
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:48 PM

6'1" from sea level here; and the 6R feels great for me. Not as tall as you guys, but that's my $.02.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:03 PM

Welp..being the shortest of the responding group so far, at 6'2" and 170..I ride a older gixxer..and it works for me..also, my son who is 6'6" and 275lbs..likes the gixxer too..BUT..try to ride, or at least sit on all the bikes, and choose the one that YOU like..

Oh...and welcome to the boardz......and the Addiction..

Old, Slow, but ...Smooth
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2002, 05:09 PM

not to worry

I too am 6'6'' tall and have rode lots of different bikes, fitting is no problem if you are flexible enough. I currently ride an 02 RC51, it takes some bending but that is no problem. Like watcha buy Buy watcha like be safe have fun

Joe
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 04:47 AM

You would be PERFECT for a pocket bike (time for elo to chime in )

You'll be fine.... just go down to the dealers and sit on all the bikes. Bring a bud to hold em upright so you can get your feet on the pegs and see how it'd be.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 05:36 AM

I am also 6'6" and I was having the same issues. I wanted to find a bike that was comfortable and it didn't look like a monkey f**king a football. So, right know I am riding a ZX7R and it fits pretty good. My advice is too sit on alot of bikes for awhile, don't just get and then get off. If you give it a few minutes while you talk to the sales person you will get a better feel for it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 07:11 AM
elo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by limegreen6R
You would be PERFECT for a pocket bike (time for elo to chime in )
I raced a guy at Willow Springs who is 6'4, 250 lbs. What? a 27" wheelbase isn't big enough?

Another option for taller riders is to go the Super Motard route. Check that forum out, Grok the moderator is batty for them things!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 05:41 AM

I am in the same situation as you in looking for a bike. I am 6'6" tall and 256lbs athlectic build. I have sat on EVERYTHING! I find the leg cut out on the tank to be the deciding factor for me. So far I have only been looking at the following bikes:
Ducati 998
Honda RC51
Aprilia RSV Mille R
Yamaha R1
Honda CBR 954RR
Suzuki GSXR1000
I fit on the Yamaha R1, Ducati 998 and Honda RC51 the best because there are no leg cut out on the tank. The Suzuki GSZR1000 fit me the worst. I also fit on the Aprilia too pretty good but I am aware of the leg cut outs. If I were on a budget I would get the Honda RC51 hands down and next on my list would be the Yamaha R1. I currently ride a 2001 Harley Road King, yep I'm not one of those Harley sport bikes haters assholes that ride only Harley's, so I want a totally differant very racey type of bike. I love the exotic's so the Ducati 998 and Aprilia Mille R are the 2 bikes I am trying to pick between.
Mike C.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 02:48 AM

wow..... going for some mighty powerful bikes for your first? sport bike.

Have you taken any out for a test ride?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode