'02 CBR954RR vs. '02 CBR600F4i - First Bike - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation '02 CBR954RR vs. '02 CBR600F4i - First Bike

Okay, I know what you are all thinking. I have seen this post on every motorcycle forum I can find and all the answers (for the most part) are the same. There are a few people that say 'go4it' but most say 'what, are you stupid?'..

Anyway, I am going to buy a bike. It is going to be a Honda for various reasons and its is between the 600 and 954. I have never owned let alone rode a super sport but they are the only pure street bikes that I like.

I have many years on dirt - currently own an '01 CR250r. Im not looking for the fastest bike, otherwise Id buy a Busa and throw a turbo on it. I am looking for a bike to ride casualy around town, maybe to and from work (<5 miles). I dont want a bike that I have to run past 10K rpms just to get it to move. I am 6'2 250lbs and have heard everyone say the 600s are the type of bike that needs to be ran in upper RPMs to get it to move. I also understand the 954 is the type of bike that if you twist the throttle, regardless of RPM, you are movin'.

I have sat on both bikes and they are both about = in the comfort area, atleast for the 10 minutes I sat on them. I really didnt feel that the 600 was smaller than the 954. I also have no way of testing out either of these bikes or any bike remotely close. My buddy has a Harley but Im not about to ask him for a test ride on a 20,000$ chromed out Softail.

I guess what Im asking is your honest, experienced opinion on what bike to buy. Most likely it will be a weekend bike which I will probably use to take long rides with, but for the most part it will be used for short rides around the neighborhood. I have a '00 Mustang GT that I drive to work.

Price isnt an issue. Not saying I have 20G to throw down, but with either bike I will throw $2000 down and the payments will be within my range. I have already priced insurance on both bikes, believe it or not, they are the same. My car insurance is over 2700 for 6 months so insurance is a BIG concern for me. I do have in writing 2 quotes from the same agent at State Farm on both bikes for the same amount. 50,000/100,000 coverage and $150 deductables = 157/month on either bike.

As with my moto-x, all the gear will without a doubt be worn everytime I ride. I am leaning towards the 954 and want to make sure I will be able to handle the bike with a straight head. Again, Im not looking for speed and I have nobody to impress, I just want a bike I can cruise on without having to ride the piss out of it and outgrow it in a year. Chances are it will be with me for 3-5 years. (Sounds like a jail term). Anyway, thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 06:57 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i would say a good place to start is assess how good you are on the cr250. the differences are there dirt to street. but it's a much smoother transition than no experience.

i'll lecture a second. msf course. street and trail bike. those things are invaluable. also, when you started riding dirtbikes, did you crash? hell, i crashed damn near every dirtbike i rode. now picture the new 954rr on it's side. think the car insurance is high now, write-off a motorcycle. btw, what the hell do you drive?

if you REALLY need a new bike, have you considered a vtr1000? torque is there. the sv would be nice too, but after a cr250, you'll probably think it's slow (it's not, but relatively speaking).

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

How good am I on the CR250? Well, I ride it every weekend and have only crashed it once when I first bought it (hehe). Wasnt quite used to the difference between the CR125 and the CR250 powerband over a jump and it flipped off a jump.

I do a ton of trail riding - over trees, through streams, up hills, rocks, etc. Im not real big on jumping, more of a trail rider. I have been on dirt since age 10 and Im now 23.

MSF Course - I have already called about it and its booked 'til June. I will be attending the class for sure though. A few friends I ride dirt w/have taken the class and highly reccomend it.

Car Insurance So HIGH!!;
2000 Ford Mustang GT 5 Speed Coupe
1 Speeding 15+ MPH Over Limit -
1 Speed Too Great For Conditions
0 Accidents
My insurance payment is more than my 450.00 car payment.

I havent looked into anything other than the popular brands Suport Sports - ie GSXR, R6/R1, CBR and Ninjas. I will check out the VTR and see what it looks like.

Question about CBR954RR.. I am not planning on doing 100 MPH anytime soon, my insurance is high enough and a ticket will definately not help. Now, I hear all the guys say they will ride with a cool head and not do anything stupid, which is what I plan, but I KNOW after a few months or maybe even a few weeks I will be trying wheelies and such. I dot them all day on the CR, its just too fun not to. Now, will I be able to ride this thing around the neighborhood (country roads) and not have to worry about front tire popping up all the time in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc? Also, around turns, am I going to have to worry about the rear tire sliding out in a turn? Im sure you are aware of the powerband on a CR and I have no problems controlling it as far as turns are concerned and wheelies. It wont do a wheelie unless I want it to and then its very easy to make it come up. What Im trying to say is I feel I have great throttle control yet worry the CBR954 might get the best of me.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:09 AM
elo

If you want a bike that you don't have to rev into the high rpm's, then I'd recommend looking away from ANY Inline-4 bike. It's the nature of the beast (so to speak) that their best power comes in the high RPM's. Hop on any V-twin and you are gonna go, fast.

I've seen enough posts like this to know better than to talk you out of starting out on either bike you listed. I'll just say that you'll understand more after you've ridden for a while. I don't understand why you will ONLY look at a Honda, but that being said I'll point you to an Interceptor (I like the older ones better than the 2002 model) or a SuperHawk or an RC51 (though I don't consider either of them good beginner bikes).

If you do decide to look at other bikes, V-twins I'd recommend to you are: Suzuki: SV650 Ducatis: Monster 600, Monster 620, Monster 750, 748, 916 Aprilia: Pegaso, Futura

So anyway, for what you say you're looking for I don't think either of the original two bikes are good choices but good luck whatever you decide.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 11:54 AM

You'll be fine on the 954 if you are a good dirt rider. Just take your time. The bike has some SERIOUS power!!! It will wheelie all over the damn place in 1st and 2nd. But that doesn't mean it is not controlable. It can cruise around town very easily, and then light it up at any time as well. It's very user friendly! Very neutral steering, very flickable and light. If you want a 954 buy it, don't let anyone here talk you into some other bike that you aren't interested in. You're makin the payments, not anyone else. My first rule is if I gotta sit down and write a check every month, I better be happy about it!

Last edited by krash954; 05-29-2002 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 12:49 PM

My very first bike was a YZF600r. I had very limited experience on a sportbike when I brought it last year. I took a Safety Course and got comfortable with the bike, but was not happy with it. I rode it for a year and traded it in for a 954 and have never been more happy. It's based on your maturity level. I'd rather the power be there and not use it, than need it and it's not there. Get the biggest bike your maturity level can handle, take the MSF course and be responsible when you ride and you'll be okay.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-29-2002, 08:28 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
Quote:
Originally posted by HairNutz
How good am I on the CR250? Well, I ride it every weekend and have only crashed it once when I first bought it (hehe). Wasnt quite used to the difference between the CR125 and the CR250 powerband over a jump and it flipped off a jump.

I do a ton of trail riding - over trees, through streams, up hills, rocks, etc. Im not real big on jumping, more of a trail rider. I have been on dirt since age 10 and Im now 23.

MSF Course - I have already called about it and its booked 'til June. I will be attending the class for sure though. A few friends I ride dirt w/have taken the class and highly reccomend it.

Car Insurance So HIGH!!;
2000 Ford Mustang GT 5 Speed Coupe
1 Speeding 15+ MPH Over Limit -
1 Speed Too Great For Conditions
0 Accidents
My insurance payment is more than my 450.00 car payment.

I havent looked into anything other than the popular brands Suport Sports - ie GSXR, R6/R1, CBR and Ninjas. I will check out the VTR and see what it looks like.

Question about CBR954RR.. I am not planning on doing 100 MPH anytime soon, my insurance is high enough and a ticket will definately not help. Now, I hear all the guys say they will ride with a cool head and not do anything stupid, which is what I plan, but I KNOW after a few months or maybe even a few weeks I will be trying wheelies and such. I dot them all day on the CR, its just too fun not to. Now, will I be able to ride this thing around the neighborhood (country roads) and not have to worry about front tire popping up all the time in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc? Also, around turns, am I going to have to worry about the rear tire sliding out in a turn? Im sure you are aware of the powerband on a CR and I have no problems controlling it as far as turns are concerned and wheelies. It wont do a wheelie unless I want it to and then its very easy to make it come up. What Im trying to say is I feel I have great throttle control yet worry the CBR954 might get the best of me.
i think you may have misunderstood what i meant by asssessing your abilities on the cr250. if you think that you can ride the bike well, then you can probably ride a sportbike well. there is a transition from dirt to street, but it's not a hard one. the guys and gals at the msf course will help pick them out for you. and you can build on them.

there are things that you need to remember with a streetbike. one the front brake rules. back brake isn't that important. it's the little differences like that, adjusting to traffic and the motorcycle.

based on what you described as your cr250 riding habits, you'll probably really enjoy an f4i. it sounds like you're someone who likes fast bikes. but doesn't really do the 100% kinda thing.

in town and on backroads, the f4i will feel fast without wringing out it's neck. as your street riding improves, i'm sure you'll learn to like the way a 4-banger makes power.

does wv charge for the msf course? if they do and they are booked, sign up in pa as an alternate. it'll cost you a couple of hundred bucks, but they almost always take their alternates. you can also check to see if you can do a walk-in on a course in wv. if not, it's only a month. with dirtbike experience, shifting, starting, etc. won't be a problem. the msf course will be VERY important in breaking you of poor street habits you'll carry over.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 03:32 AM

Thumbs up Get the 954!!

I say go for it and get the 954.

I was contemplating almost the very same things just a couple of months ago. Should I or shouldn't I? 954 or F4i? Used or new? Well, I did my research and everything I wanted was in the 954. Then, the only question was: "Do I trust myself?" I trust myself not to rush right out and red line that f***er out and start doin' wheelies and endoes. I've seen a few DVDs with all that "entertainment" stuff on them. I wanted full on power, with really good handling. I too was partial to the Hondas. I knew the 954 has monster power compared to the F4i. It handles better, and weighs the same. It was a no brainer!!

The 954 is my first bike. I had no riding experience prior to buying it. Some might say that I'm crazy for starting off with a candidate for "liter bike of the year", but you know what? Who gives a damn what they say? If you don't trust yourself not to ease your way into it, then you probably shouldn't be purchasing any sport bikes right now. Maybe this isn't a good time in your life to be making that decision. I'm not judging you, I'm just saying that no matter what bike you buy, you could die that day if you go f***ing around!!! Take a course. Ride responsibly. Get the 954. My $.02.................JB
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 11:20 AM
UFO

Quote:
Originally posted by HairNutz
Question about CBR954RR.. I am not planning on doing 100 MPH anytime soon
LOL! Sorry, don't buy it. Right wrist has a mind of its own, and considering you only have to be in 2nd gear (probably) to do 100, there's little effort involved. Just look down and you'll go "Holy shite! I'm doing 120?!?!"

Whatever you do, just be careful for awhile. That's the only useful advice I can give.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2002, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I actually bought the 954 in Silver/Black about 1 week ago. I put 200 mles on it the first day and another 60 the 2nd day! I must say Im glad I got it instead of the 600. I also got the Shoei Duhamel Replica TC-5.

I have been in Az on businees so I only go to ride it for 2 days. Cant wait to get back!!!

I will say it has a ton of power but its not what I expected. I thought it would be instantanious (SP?) power with the twist of a wrist and its not like that at all. Its very controllable. Dont get me wrong, if you stay in a gear past 6000 RPM you are going white knuckle fast. I did have it in [email protected] and was going about 85MPH!! I slowed down rather quickly. They all say not to take it about 8000 RPM during break in, well, no problem with that for me. The bike does exactly what I wanted... It has a TON of power and speed when you need it, yet you can ride around 3000 - 8000 RPM all day comfortably. Anytime you want white knuckle, drop it down a gear or 2, hit 8000+ RPM and you are flyin!!

Anyway, thanks for all the input. Im very happy with the bike so far!

Oh yeah... THere is a huge difference between dirt and street. Dirt teaches you how to ride and lean etc, but on the street you have to dodge cars coming at you, not stationary trees. I have been VERY aware of my surroundings while on the street.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode