YZF 600R vs R6 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

YZF 600R vs R6

I am looking to buy my first bike. I am considering either the 600R or the R6. I have riden the 600R and felt comfortable on it but I am thinking about something that I can grow into more and I won't get tired of in a couple years. I have been tossing the idea around for over a month now without a decision and was hoping I could get some help.

If you could give me your opinion about it and some differences between the two bikes I would appretiate it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 03:52 PM

600R is more comfortable, very good bike, less expensive, much better first bike

R6- more power, quicker handling (too quick for some beginners), more expensive, not near as comfortable.

If you get the 600r you will not outgrow it in under 2 years.

If you get the R6 you most likely won't even approach it's limits in 2 years.

Welcome to the board
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: YZF 600R vs R6

"I am thinking about something that I can grow into more and I won't get tired of in a couple years."

Any 600 from Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki would make a great first bike. But nothing will satisfy you for years to come. See all the bikes the guys on this board own or have owned? They probably felt that way about every one of them. Now they are bike addicts, and they constantly need bigger and bigger bike doses to feed the addiction. So maybe it's best if you just say no. Larry

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2002, 08:10 PM

When I hear about someone outgrowing a YZF600 or F3 or 600 Kat or something, I always have to wonder. Of all the people I've known and ridden with over the years, I can think of maybe three or four, offhand, who were actually able to use an honest-to-god 100% of even these bikes in anything other than a straight line, and I certainly ain't one of 'em.

My roommate rides an EX250, and has for seven months (I think he's got 2500 miles on it). Every now and again, he'll stop at the bike dealership on the way home, looking at used 600's and think "y'know, it'd be nice to have more power...". But then he turns and looks at the little Ninjette and thinks "...on the other hand, I don't see any drag marks on that centerstand; I haven't even used everything this bike has to offer yet. I certainly haven't learned everything it can teach me".

I wish he'd hurry up and do so, though, 'cause I want to buy the little 250 from him.

In direct answer to your question, I think a YZF600R or FZR600 would make a better starter bike than an R6 by a long shot. An R6 has rear-wheel horsepower and performance numbers that would've been considered adequate for a literbike just ten years ago, plus it has razor-sharp handling. This sounds like a good thing, in that it'll do whatever you tell it to right now. The only problem with that is that it'll do whatever you tell it to do right now, even if you tell it to do something wrong. It'd be a lot more beneficial to you in the long run to pick up your basic skills on a more forgiving platform, and we do want you in this sport for the long run. It gives us more cool people to ride with.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2002, 01:27 AM

I'd also like to add that the R6 is a head down-bum up sportbike. Very focused on what it's designed for. I've ridden my mates and it's an absolute blast.......for a short time.
The 600R has a more relaxed riding position, keeping your head up and (IMO) is the better bike for a beginner. I also think that in a couple of years, you'll be wanting to change for something newer, not because you can out-master the 600R.

As Tamars says, we want you here long term.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 AM

I think that*this information is*the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode