Starter bikes? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Starter bikes?

So I know I'm thinking a bit ahead of my self here...But I'm very interested in getting a sportbike. I'm 15 I'm planning on buying a bike entirely on my own, pay some of my insurance (Because it will be added to the family's insurance) but that's beside the point. Can I get some suggestions on what bike I should buy? (After I pass all of the tests of course!!) Please shoot some ideas at me I'm trying not to go above 5,000 If absolutely necessary I'll go to about 6-7,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 03:54 PM

At your age anything above a 250 or 300 is going to kill you on insurance. That sucks but thats how it goes bro. I started out on a fz6 at the age of 22 and full coverage was going to be around 120 a month. I dont have any tickets or accidents on my record. If you really want to ride a motorcycle find a used 250 ninja or 300, honestly any of the big 4 have decent starter bikes. As this is a sportbike forum i doubt you were thinking of a cruiser. Take the Basic Riders Course and see if you even like to ride, you might be surprised on your views of riding. Sit on a few motorcycles and take your time picking your ride out, your first bike certainly wont be your last. Sometimes waiting on a motorcycle and seeing what is out there gets you the better bike. When looking at used bikes sit on it, looks for signs of bad ownership or abuse. Fork condition can tell you a lot about a bike. There is more to owning a bike than just insurance costs and purchase price. A lot of the costs comes from good gear, and proper maintenance. If you have the tools and a little know how or even patience to watch youtube a lot of the maintenance can be done on your own. I dont think one should take their bike to the shop to get an oil change for example.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 06:30 PM

It would be a great investment if you would enroll first in a Basic Riders Course and from there see what would fit you best.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Also do invest first with good and reliable riding gear.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Hello,
Before you buy your new Sportsbike just make sure that when you are buying your bike you are not digging from your savings to buy a top-of-the-line bike. I agree with kartl that first, you go for an investment and then, later on, you buy a new sports bike. But, if you still want to buy then I would recommend you to go for Suzuki GSX-S1000. Last year my brother had bought his first new bike Suzuki GSX-S1000 which was hauled by We Will Transport It (wewilltransportit.com/) services. Suzuki GSX-S1000 it receives its power from a 999c inline-four engine, and a 4-2-1 pipe design with equalizer pipes between the 1-and-4 and 2-and-3 headers.

Last edited by LakendraLee; 05-24-2017 at 09:40 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 10:38 AM

I started off with an older F4I and loved it honestly. It had pickup, but being an older bike it didn't kill me on insurance. Well balanced, comfortable for riding. Moved up to a 750 and will probably stay there from here on out.

www.sportbikeworld.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode