Sportbike World banner

Colorado Rides

7K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  bhartwig32 
#1 ·
A few great routes in Colorado are the Peak to Peak.....hwy 119 from Nederland to Central City.119 can be accessed by a couple of other nice rides.Off of hwy 93 that runs between Golden and Boulder you can pick Golden Gate Canyon...Coal Creek Canyon and Boulder Canyon.....all will drop you on 119.
Another great ride is the "Deckers run"...off of hwy 285 turn south on 126 at Pine Junction....this will eventually turn into hwy 67 at Deckers...continue south to the now famous berg of Woodland Park.
Also in Southwest Colorado is the "Million Dollar Highway"....hwy 550 between Durango and Ridgway has to be one of the most spectacular in the lower 48.
And yet another is hwy 149...the "Silver Thread" runs from South Fork to Gunnison.Quite remote....I like to camp near Lake City.

#2 ·
More Colorado So.

Colorado Springs, 115 So. (cop central) to Florence, 67 south to Wetmore, 96 W to Westcliffe, 69 N to Texas Creek on highway 50, east to 9, N to Hartsel or take the cut off to Cripple Creek and back to the Springs.

I love the Peak to Peak. I take the whole loop ride through Rcky Mtn Nat Prk and down through Winter Park and Berthoud Pass.

#3 ·
Yea Berthoud pass has some nice turns...they have it tore up right now though....Thats a long ride all the way around....I've done it a couple times....I don't like I-70 though....Usually I go up in the park then turn around and come back the same way thru Ward and Nederland.

#4 ·
Deckers Run

WOW!!! I went on the deckers run this weekend and it was incredible, now Im pissed because I havent been on it before.:) I plan on doing that run a hell of a lot this summer. What else is comparable to deckers?? something along the same line....lots of curves, very little traffic, and no cops :)

#5 · (Edited)
In the area....there's not a whole lot that compares to Deckers....most are pretty different rides. The run up Mt Evans is more scenic....and slower with tighter curves. The Peak to Peak run is probably the closest thing to Deckers but has more traffic. Golden Gate is really nice with a smorgasboard of different sections....some tight and twisty....some open sweepers. Coal Creek starts pretty open and gradually gets tighter the higher you go.

#8 ·
I was wondering if anyone has ridden Hwy 14 from Fort Collins? I was thinking of taking 14 from Fort Collins to Walden, going south on 125 to Granby and then taking Trail Ridge to Estes Park and the Peak to Peak to Denver.

Has anyone done this ride? I am interested to know if 14 and 125 are flat? I took 40 out to Steamboat Springs last weekend and thought that was pretty flat. I like elevation changes and especially tight turns and was wondering if 14 and 125 were fun roads. I've done the whole Peak to Peak, Trail Ridge / Berthoud loop so I am familiar with those roads.

Any comments or suggestions on 14 or 125?

#10 ·
I did Hwy 550 from Durango to Ouray in a rental cage last month while on vacation and all could think of is how cool it would be on my 748. I didn't see a lot of sportbikes on it, mostly cruisers and dual purpose bikes. I think it would be a cool ride on an XR 600 or a FS 650. You could hit the jeep trails with a dual purpose bike. It is an awesome road, especially heading south out of Ouray along Uncompahgre Gorge, yikes!

The only draw back is the tons of tourists traffic, I think it might be hard to get a clear run through there.

#11 ·
I did 550 in June.....had a room at the Box Canyon Lodge in Ouray....left at 8am headed south and had the road practically to myself all the way to Purgatory. Once in Durango I headed east over Wolf Creek Pass and over to South Fork. Then I headed north to Lake City....what a ride.

#12 ·
Re: Deckers Run

Slakkr said:
WOW!!! I went on the deckers run this weekend and it was incredible, now Im pissed because I havent been on it before.:) I plan on doing that run a hell of a lot this summer. What else is comparable to deckers?? something along the same line....lots of curves, very little traffic, and no cops :)
Hey guys. I'm very interested in the Deckers run but was wondering how much time is needed for the entire loop. Also, did you guys turn around at Woodland Park or hit the interstate?

#14 ·
LEDSLED...Help!!

Me and a friend are coming out to CO. for the races at PPIR in june. We are riding an R6 & a 6R from K.C. MO. After the races, We will be riding up to my sister's in Ft. Collins to spend the rest of the week. I was wondering if you could help us plan a route from the Springs to Ft. Collins. I see you know your way around and we sure could use the help.
Thanks, :)

#15 ·
southwest/central co ride

I live in Gunnison and one of my favorite rides is the following.
gunny-rt 50 w-blue messa resevoir-rt 92 to hotchkiss (twisty, watch 4 sand in corners!!!!!, huge canyons)-133 past panonia- over mcclure pass-crystal river/redstone(WOW)-carbondale-rt 82 to aspen-over independence pass- rt 24 s to poncha springs- rt 50 w- over monarch pass- gunny.
5-6 hours, amazing ride. five-o hot spots rt 24...

of course, coming out of Denver/Springs either 285 or 24 over to Buena Vista, down to Poncha Springs then east to Canon City is pretty awesome too. then try whichever road it is that's paved up to Cripple Creek and back over to Denver/springs.

Having lived all over the east coast, and a short time in NV/AZ, I have to say that Colorado has some of the best riding I've ever seen. Just wish the roads were in better condition out here. I'd rather pay a bit more taxes so they could repair roads rather than just put up the stupid "road damage next 30 miles" signs.
But wtf, it's why we live in the wild wild west.

Myles Lewis
Gunnison, Colorado
1989 Kawasaki ZX600R
"Panic, chaos, and mayhem, my work here is done!"

#16 ·
I always tought you guys had good roads out there. My state has one of the worst road conditions in the country. So yours can't be too bad.

We have decided to do the Deckers run, then through Evergreen. Cross I-70 and go up 119 to Blackhawk. 72 north into Estes Park then over to Ft. Collins.

Has anyone run this route and can you give us a time frame we are looking to complete it? Any help would be great!:D

Thanks.

#19 ·
Yea man...Thompson Canyon out of Loveland to Estes is good. Just leave early to avoid traffic. And Poudre Canyon out of Ft Collins is good. The rides near Denver are Deer Creek, Turkey Creek, Mt Evans, Deckers, Coal Creek, Golden Gate....

#20 ·
Just a word of caution in Deckers: Conditions vary daily. i have great top runs through there on many occasions. I have also had speed limit only days due to conditions. What gets tricky is the gravel lines that those cagers seem to stir up. Whether fast or slow, it is always a great run through there. That road claims a lot of bikes every year usually due to going through there too fast and catching some gravel. I would venture to guess that at least 6 bikes a year go down on that stretch of road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.