A year and 10k on a Speed triple - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

A year and 10k on a Speed triple

ok now that I have ridden my Speed triple for a year and put 10k on it here are my thoughts.
i love that engine,torque and speed ,all the best points of a I4 with twin grunt.
The seat still sucks and the after market is very thin for a replacement.
The suspension is good once dialed in but not quite as good as some of the japanese machines,its a touch(and I am being picky here ) more harsh on our fine pennsylvania roads no matter where its set.
The stock brake pads are too hard.Went to after market.
the injection is excellent,and even cranking it up hard all day the dang thing gets unreal mileage on midgrade.
you can do big miles on one if you have the flyscreen,it was unreal what a difference that little hunk of platic made.
Triumph using twin headlamps has some of the best nighttime lighting there is,you can see the road and off to the sides,something other companies should strive to do.
The clutch pull is a tad heavy but still lighter than the last Duc I had ( and it didn't use a cable)
The gearbox once broken in(3 to 5k) is smooth but needs a more deliberate boot on some of the upshifts.
The wide handel bars are the way to go for flopping it side to side.a lot easier on the old wrists too.
i like the single side swing arm and the eccentric chain adjustment for ease of doing it.i don't like the eccentric adjuster because it does change the ride height some.
I swear the stock can is about 1/2 the weight of the bike(what is it 5 nines lead??)
The seat is flat and helps you move around on it (what me hang off? LOL)
I have never had the head shake no matter what,this thing is unflappable.
The bungie hooks under the seat are too far foreward,but still usefull to a small extent.the seat cowel should be OEM not a frigging option.if you use soft bags use a paint protector,seems the paint on the tail is very soft and scratchable even using bags with built in (and clean) protection.
Just some of my thoughts and opinions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 11:17 AM

I just sent mine in for some minor adjustments......one being the clutch. I've got strong hands anyway because of my job, but honest to God, that clutch was giving me a tough time. My dealer replaced my handle, and internals with the 2004 upgrades.......I guess they all fit..........and the difference is amazing!!!!!!! It has been a HUGE help.

Does Sargent make a seat for the Triple? Hubby got a Sargent for his K1200 RS and is very happy with it. My Corbin is great, but I was able to go there and get it custom fit for my tushie. Stock one would have been in the garbage.

Just a couple of things to think about!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Inky
I just sent mine in for some minor adjustments......one being the clutch. I've got strong hands anyway because of my job, but honest to God, that clutch was giving me a tough time. My dealer replaced my handle, and internals with the 2004 upgrades.......I guess they all fit..........and the difference is amazing!!!!!!! It has been a HUGE help.

Does Sargent make a seat for the Triple? Hubby got a Sargent for his K1200 RS and is very happy with it. My Corbin is great, but I was able to go there and get it custom fit for my tushie. Stock one would have been in the garbage.

Just a couple of things to think about!
No sargent doesn't make one,too low a demand.I can get them to build on my seatpan but my money is tight so I may just keep this one and deal with the hard old thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode