s3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

s3

Well ,as I said I sold my speed triple and bought a honda 599. So a report card on the triumph: It had great power, a ton of mid-range urge. I will miss that. But the damn thing was uncomfortable, for me anyway. A strange ergo package, with ungodly stiff suspension. Maybe it was the year, a 2000 model. I bought it to have a standard, comfortable bike, but found it to be anything but. High pegs, wide, too wide bars, and a long reach too boot. Anyway I enjoyed having the triumph, and the attention it gathered. But the 599 is so much a better all around bike. Good memories on the s3, many more I'm sure on the 599. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 06:28 AM

For me its just the opposite.Great ergos for my 6,1" self,I agree if you don't set the suspension ,in stock form its racetrack stiff.I find I can do good distance on my S3,400 miles in a day no problem,I average 50 mpg if I keep it under 90. The stock seat is stiff,but not unlivable,the wide bars make it so it can be flooped side to side much quicker than the average sportbike.I think triumphs are setup for taller riders in general(the Bonnie and thruxton the exceptions).I now have 7500 miles and 1 year 1 month on it and am glad I got it.I do however want different rubber than what I put on it last time,next will be either Avon av45&46 or av50&46 or the new metzler mez6.The Bt020's have grip but are very vauge and don't give me much confidence in the amount of avalable grip(read no feel for whats its doing.)I like the oem bt010's but they being stickys wore out fast and the front cupped real bad quick.
i have done nothing to it other than oil changes and 1 set of tires,I do however have to find out about the fuel coupler recall(no letter yet???),not an issue unless you tinker with it while doing something under the tank.
The 599 is agood bike Even I hope you have great luck and fun on it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-26-2004, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, MJ, yeah I think that my s3 was better suited to a taller heavier rider. I tried everything I could think of to adjust the suspension, to soften it up, but could never get it even close. I never had a problem with it and it ran flawlessly. It's true I'm verticaly chanlenged 5-08, and the 599 seems to fit me really well. It's just a milder edged bike that suits the type of riding I do most. It will cook right along though if needed.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 09:44 AM

just bought my 2004 sreed triple and all I can say is "wow"I love the bike and last week logged 625 miles.
I am 5-8 and the only draw back I am not flatfooted on the bike.at first strange after coming off a legend TT.
riding 2 up the bike shines and the wife loves it also.plenty of power and some of the best brakes I have ever had on a bike.love the sound as it gets on the power band.nothing sounds like a triple.
I'll be hanging in with this ride for a long time.
pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003_0110speedocrawford0009.jpg (851.6 KB, 102 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode