Bandit v SV650S?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bikerchik Send a message via Yahoo to bikerchik
Bandit v SV650S??

I'm just in my second year of riding and want a better bike. Knowing that an upgrade in the next few years is possible, does anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes? MAJOR CATCH to my question - I will be taking a trip from Ohio to California roundtrip and need something comfy. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:10 AM

Re: Bandit v SV650S??

Quote:
Originally posted by bikerchik
I'm just in my second year of riding and want a better bike. Knowing that an upgrade in the next few years is possible, does anyone have any thoughts on these two bikes? MAJOR CATCH to my question - I will be taking a trip from Ohio to California roundtrip and need something comfy. Suggestions?
Comfort is a very personal thing.... I can't stand most Honda's, they're too uncomfortable for me, however Suzukis fit me just fine I've owned SVs and they're great bikes that can be easily upgraded if you get bored. They make great racers too Just go sit on both and figure out which one is best for you

"Road racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty." - Peter Eagan
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 AM

SV 650S vs Bandit

I am assuming that you are comparing the SV to a Bandit 600?

Both make equal amounts of horsepower, the SV having more low-end and midrange power vs the Bandit which makes it's peak power at higher rpm. For long rides on the highway, I find 4-cylinder bikes to be smoother than the thumping of a V-twin, so I would prefer the Bandit for that kind of use. (although depending on the bike, 4-cylinder motorcycles can be buzzy at certain rpm).

The SV-S model has a noticeably more aggressive (racy) seating position than the standard style SV. This being the case, the Bandit would be the more comfortable of these 2.

Although I think the Bandit 600 is a better bike for touring, I would have to say that the SV is the better bike in just about any other comparison. A much more modern, newer design. The SV has a better frame and suspension plus it has fuel injection vs Bandit's carbs.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bikerchik Send a message via Yahoo to bikerchik
Seeing as though I'm not all draggin knees (yet), the Bandit should be fine for me to more fine-tune my riding... right? I mean, being an amature rider, will I notice the frame weight or the suspension? Take this for thought - I ride a 2002 Shadow Spirit now and the guy I usually ride with has a VFR and pushes it to it limits.... Hmmmmm
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Strength and Honor

The impact of the suspension will make a difference in the long hauls. The worse the suspension, the faster you'll become tired/weary/fatigued. That's why that factor has some importance.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 01:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to veektor
Based on my research before the purchase, I would have gone with Sv-650S, rather than Bandit 600S. My friend, however, sold me his Bandit really cheap, and my budget tipped the scale in this case.

My Bandit has a really bad buzz around 2500 rpm, which I guess is only noticeable when you stop-and-go. I also feel the buzzing at ~5000 rpm, though not nearly as bad as the other one mentioned. I really wish it had FI, because that 5 minute warm up and finagling with the choke is getting old for me. Because I gear up before every ride, the warm up is just an extra hassle. And if you try to get away without the warm up, you will be getting a nice adrenaline rush as you are clearing your first left turn, give it some throttle, and the engine acts like it will stall on you instead of revving up.

Overall I am happy with my Bandit. It is reasonably comfy, does pretty good on twisties and interstates alike. I wish I had ridden SV650 to know the difference, at least. I do know that Motorcyclist magazine can't stop ooh-ing and aah-ing about SV650, though.

Hope this helps.

Signature unreadable...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bikerchik
Seeing as though I'm not all draggin knees (yet), the Bandit should be fine for me to more fine-tune my riding... right? I mean, being an amature rider, will I notice the frame weight or the suspension? Take this for thought - I ride a 2002 Shadow Spirit now and the guy I usually ride with has a VFR and pushes it to it limits.... Hmmmmm
I own a 2001 Sv 650,and i love it. It's my first bike andi couldn't be happier. Its been a very comfertable bike, although i havent been on any long trips. It's a very agile bike rides smooth on highway, and its incredibly tourqy. I can't compare it to the bandit considering i never rode one. I hope i could have been any help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to gilcane
bandit 1200

Find yourself a bandit 1200. I've owned one for 2 years and have nothing but good things to say. all around good machine, power to stay with the boys, comfortable upright position for long rides, great for 2 up riding, all you can handle thru the twistiys, insurance is affordable and best of all a great price tag.

I love smoking the posers with plastics

gilcane

Last edited by gilcane; 01-01-2006 at 07:24 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
jrm

The naked SV or the Bandit use old-fashioned handlebars which you can buy in a variety of shapes to customize the position to suit your needs. That could be a big difference if you are looking for a highway/road trip bike.

I'd agree with the inline-4 being smoother than a twin for longer rides, too. My wife REALLY likes the vibration of the SV, however...

The SV, 1st or 2nd generation, are newer bikes in general design and have more "sport" potential, as well as being lighter. That said, the Bandits were a 600cc Suzuki staple for many years and it is a bike that ,while not stellar by modern standards, performs well and is a proven, all-around bike.

Carbs vs FI argument is what you make of it. FI has auto warm up, auto choke and has computerized flexibility to make engine run well under many different conditions. You won't fix it on the side of the road with a screwdriver, however. Carbs are simpler and more widely understood in more areas of the world.

Really depends on what you are looking for in your next (but not LAST) bike. Pick one and ride it for a while. If it is not for you, try the other next.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 06:37 PM

Haven't ridden either, but for what it's worth the Bandit is about 100lbs heavier if that makes a difference to you.

Maybe that helps make it a better long haul bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode