Wind blast - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Wind blast

I like the nekkid look, but the last two nekkid bikes I owned both had one problem--wind blast. No aftermarket windscreen seemed to do the job. The way to go seems to be a fairing job like the ZR7S or Bandit. Anyone else bugged by this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Angry

Yeah, the wind blast usually pisses me off. My friend cruises at 80mph on his 600R while I'm crouched in full race mode. But that's a characteristic w/ a true naked.

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 AM

Just by coincidence, all the bikes I've owned so far didnt have fairings except for the VTR I ride now. With the other bikes, I never knew what I was missing. Even though the VTR fairing is not as big as on some other bikes, the difference in riding enjoyment is profound. I doubt I will ever purchase a bike without a fairing again. Another negative effect of not having a fairing besides being annoying is that it robs a lot of horsepower at high speeds. Acceleration from 100+ on my bike when tucked is much quicker than if im sitting up taking the wind on my face and chest.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 06:24 PM

Riding without a fairing is fine. Up to about 100mph you can just lean into the wind and body surf like a ski-jumper. Takes all the weight off your wrists.

Above that is a bit of a pain unless you tuck down but even when I rode sports bikes you never really run more than 125-150 for more than a few minutes at a time, unless it was an outback run.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 07:46 AM
Retired Moderator

I like the nakeds, and I always ride bikes without fairing.
It is tiring of course but the neck muscles can be trained to stand the wind.
The plus is that you really feel the speed you re doing.
Aris
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2003, 03:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Givi 755

I recently installed a Givi 755 windscreen on my 919. Works well. Took the wind blast off my body and directed it to my head! Go figure. Still more comfy at higher speeds than nothing. It looks a bit homely though...

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls... Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked in a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can." HST
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 05:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
wind blast

Wind blast isn't a problem for me until I've been riding for four hours or so and my neck starts to get tired. I'll just have to ride more and grow stronger.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to tt_four
the only windshield i've ever had was the tiny little thing on my 250, but i love not having a windshield, it's a little rough now that it's only baout 30-45 degrees, but i haven' teven broken out the heated clothing yet, so it's not a big deal,

when it's over 65 or 70 i usually take off the little flyscreen i've got over my speedometer anyway, i know it takes down my top speed a little bit, and acceleration once i get up over 100, but it's not a big deal, last time i rode with my friend and he had his 636, i was pretty jealous when we stopped at the gas station and i saw how dry he was from crouching down, compaired to me being soaked, but i'm not that worried about that either,

black '03 speed four

mods include one of those sticky pads on the gas tank so it doesn't get scratched up,

buy a suzuki!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 12:20 PM

The wind blast only bothers me on my Speed Triple if i a on the Interstate for a long time(rare).I run it thru the back roads in Cranberry twp.and all of my area,so it isn't a problem.i rode it from my place in McCandless to mid -ohio raceway(150miles or so),and i was a bit sore upper body but not bad.the ride home in the rain SUCKED.

badges? We don't need no stinking badges.
Twist and shout!
Loud Clutches save lives
The older I get the faster I was
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 09:01 PM

The windblast has never really bothered me. It might be because when I first started riding streetbikes I never had a fairing. I guess I'm just accustom to the windblast after all of these years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode