KTM Duke 950, The Future King? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

KTM Duke 950, The Future King?

I don't have a picture handy, but the new KTM Duke 950 v-twin introduced at Intermot sounds like a winner. It weights a claimed 349 lbs dry, about 385 wet, and a probable 110-115 hp at the rear wheel. This should easily make it the hottest naked bike on the market. The FZ-1 and the new Kawi Z1000 make about the same power, but weigh almost 100 lbs more. It looks pretty strange, though I am beginning to get used to it. I try to just think about how it will run.

I'm not suffering from insanity, I'm enjoying every moment of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 05:39 AM

might depend on the gearing, but Motorcyclist mag seemed to really like it. I haven't seen any weight figures for the new kaw yet, but I don't think it will weigh as much as you say. The engine is based on the 9 not the 11 (as is my zrx) and frame should be much lighter then the zrx also. my zrx1100 weighs about 450 lbs, so the z1000 should be much lighter than that. Also, I think they project about 120-130hp for it. I think the next generation Buell should be pretty good also, if they can find 10-15 more hp. If these are the golden years for performance bikes I don't know what you call them!

patrick
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:20 PM

I'm buying one.

ASAP. It seems to accomplish what Buell set out to do. That bike is clip-on's and pipes from the coolest thing I have ever seen. And if it handles and goes nearly as well as it is said to, I'll be riding it for a long time.

hashde
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2003, 06:32 AM

According to my sources (ktm-motoshop.sk) the 950 Duke will weigh in at 383lbs and be throwing 125hp around the crank.

In terms of competition, the Z1000 produces the same power but weighs in at 437lbs.

Of course, I bet Z1000 owners could loose 54lbs by replacing that fancy exhaust...

Drink what you want, drink what you're able. If you are drinking with me, you'll be under the table.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 01:00 AM
Retired Moderator

The KTM 950 is already in the market, and selling quite well.
Some reliability problems with the engine came to surface though...
I like the KTM but Iwouldn't buy it, the Z1000 is a completely different story though

Aris
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:01 AM

The Duke wont hit U.S. soil until next year, my guess is they want to test it out for problems before putting it in their largest market.

It does lack the drool worthiness of the Kawasaki, but I like v-twins.

Drink what you want, drink what you're able. If you are drinking with me, you'll be under the table.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2004, 07:49 PM

Thumbs up

That duke rocks! Love to try one out. It's a shame we can't own four or five bikes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:48 PM

got a z1k, absolutely love it. but i had a hard time deciding between and the duke, untill i found out the duke is not yet available.
Whoever mentioned the 54 pounds from exhaust is not very far off by the way. those things are made from something resembling cast iron. VERY HEAVY. out of place on a bike whose every washer has been lightened in some way.

-- Thats Just The Way I Roll

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are".
-—Theodore Roosevelt

"In war there is no substitute for victory."
---Douglas MacArthur, General

"Beware of those in whom the urge to punish is strong".
---Johann Wolfgang Goethe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode