Naked TL - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2002, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Question Naked TL

Hello all, this looks like the group that could answer my questions. At the end of the riding season last year, I had an off road excursion that cost me the plastic on my bike. Other than that, it was cleaning the dirt off. However, I don't think I want to spend the money on a new fairing, but I am not sure how to go about creating a decent looking TLS. Right now, I hate riding my bike because it looks terrible, wires and tubes hanging out all over the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

'98 TLS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2002, 01:09 PM

Street Fighter

Best regards Sean: The TLS is a very good machine.....! Seems like you have a "Street fighter" project...This new "concept" is very popular in Europe..! They strip sportbikes from all the fairings and came with new and very radical designs. I like them. You can do some research in the Net for "Street Fighters"..In the mean time check the pictures in this link:

http://www.streetfighters-usa.com/s_f_photos.htm

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2002, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

nice

That bike looks awesome, another couple questions about naked bikes. I like taking the corners and leaning into them and all that stuff, when you go to a naked style bike does that change the handling charachteristics of the bike? I suppose it depends on what you change, but the dirt bike style handlebars? How do those work? And on that do most people do for getting the the coolant overflow bottle on the bike? That is the one reason I need to keep the fairing on the bike right now, because I don't know how to keep the bottle mounted on the bike. And I have seen that website before , there are some good looking bikes on there, but do most people just make the stuff up as they go along or do they get ideas from someone else? Thanks again.

'98 TLS
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 06:41 AM
Retired Moderator

Re: nice

Quote:
Originally posted by TLSean
That bike looks awesome, another couple questions about naked bikes. I like taking the corners and leaning into them and all that stuff, when you go to a naked style bike does that change the handling charachteristics of the bike? I suppose it depends on what you change, but the dirt bike style handlebars? How do those work? And on that do most people do for getting the the coolant overflow bottle on the bike? That is the one reason I need to keep the fairing on the bike right now, because I don't know how to keep the bottle mounted on the bike. And I have seen that website before , there are some good looking bikes on there, but do most people just make the stuff up as they go along or do they get ideas from someone else? Thanks again.
Hi Sean,
If you don't change the riding position, the handling is not changed at all. The dirt bike style handlebars give better leverage and are much better to control the bike at medium speeds. The input from your arms and body is increased and slides become more fun!
Of course at high speeds it's a bit of a problem because of the air you re getting with wide arms.
As for the coolant bottle, couldn't you just use a bottle like the ones attached to the front of factory bikes?

Aris
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, guess I never looked at the other bikes to see how they mounted the bottles. I will have to take a gander.

'98 TLS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-13-2002, 10:08 AM

Not a Suzi, but similar

I bought my bike with some "scuffs" on the body work and was actually wanting a "nekkid" bike. I sold the plastic and found an old 89' Hawk GT headlight, some metal banding from Home Depot and voila, nekkid SuperHawk.

Some people think it's ugly, others think it's cool because it's original and you won't see another one on the street.

I say go for it!!

Ride fast, ride safe,
Karl
http://www2.bitstream.net/~pilot/bike/superhawk.htm
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:17 PM

Streetfighter

SEAN:

Another TL converted to "Streetfighter"

http://www.ridejudge.com/rideDetails.asp?RideID=525

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 01:22 PM

KARL:

Your bike looks AWESOME dude.....!

Perfect "Streetfighter" looks....!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

I just wish my bike was done so I could go riding again.

'98 TLS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2002, 04:26 PM
Resident Smartass

You can use pretty much any small container for a coolant catch, or better yet use none. Switch to distilled water and water wetter, if a little spews out it won't cause problems. I use a baby bottle on the SV (race org.'s require something) and it has collected maybe a half ounce over 3 race weekends.

Suck mean people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode