Exhaust for a 919 (Hornet)? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Honda919Rider
Question Exhaust for a 919 (Hornet)?

Sooooooo... I was surfing the net today, looking for a new exhaust system for my 919. I didn't see any bike-specific set ups, so I wondering if anyone new of any for this bike. I am looking to (obviously) let it breathe easier, increase the power towards the upper end of the RPM range (while keeping as much of the low-end power in place), and get a smooth, mellow sound out of it. Any suggestions or input is greatly welcomed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 11:16 AM
UFO

This is the only one I've run across:

http://www.twobros.com/TBR_Website_N...19/Hon_919.htm

Webmaster -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Red face Thanks!

Ok, that was incredibly helpful. So if I go ahead and get a system, will I be ok installing it by myself? I am not exactly the best mechanic, but I can perform the minimum on my bike. Also, what else should I do to get better performance through the exhaust system (remapping the fuel injection, K&N type filters, ect.)
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 11:41 AM
UFO

You best performance gains would be a full system, air filter, and FI remap (Power Commander if on is avail for your bike). Dyno the bike before doing the mods, and tune it on the dyno after the mods. Going to cost a little money, but that's the best way to ensure gains from the money you spend.

If you just do a slipon your FI will probably compensate for the small change, but performance gains aren't garaunteed.

Personally for you bike, a full system will remove that undertail look of you 919 (side mount pipe) and it will probably be pretty loud. If I had your bike, I'd go with a nice set of mellow undertail slipons.

Webmaster -
|
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2002, 08:40 PM
UFO

Ran across this exhaust for the 919 while drooling over the VFR pipes. Bike below the VFR on this page:

http://www.laser-jama.nl/uk/News/Bikesnews.html

Webmaster -
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Question DAMN

WHOA! That VFR exhaust set up is sweeeeeeeeeeeet! Can't wait to hear that zip'n past my window at 3am!

Anyway, thanks for the look'n out. My next question is:

I think the dual slip on is the best way to go - I love the tucked look and I'd hate to lose it. So the next task should be to have the fuel injection remapped, right? Or do I wait to add the slip on first? Should I just get the exhaust my self and take this all to the dealer? Wait, I should list these as steps:

1) Install slip-ons
2) Take bike to dealer/service shop to have FI remapped
3) Enjoy the new sounds

Should I do the DYNO thing?
Argh, see I am confused, maybe the best bet for the bike is to just get the matrials and just let the dealer do the work.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:31 AM
Retired Moderator

Hi Honda919Rider and welcome to the 'Naked' forum!

Sorry for taking so long to come with an answer, but I found something really nice!
Check it out at :
http://www.tsrjp.com/e/html/tsr_prod...t900_nk9s.html

These exhaust should be the highest possible quality, TSR is a GP team that actually wins races
I don't know how you can get hold of them or what they cost, but they sure look awesome!
BTW, could you post a pic of your Hornet? Ive only seen one on the street so far, and it was gorgeous in Black.
Here are some pics of these twin TSR exhausts for the Hornet 900.

Aris
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:32 AM
Retired Moderator

And another one

Aris
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Retired Moderator

And one more
Enjoy!

Aris
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 08:11 AM

Re: Probably not what you want to hear...

Quote:
Originally posted by Honda919Rider
Sooooooo... I was surfing the net today, looking for a new exhaust system for my 919. I didn't see any bike-specific set ups, so I wondering if anyone new of any for this bike. I am looking to (obviously) let it breathe easier, increase the power towards the upper end of the RPM range (while keeping as much of the low-end power in place), and get a smooth, mellow sound out of it. Any suggestions or input is greatly welcomed...
Hello Honda919Rider,

You might want to consider waiting a little bit before buying after-market goodies. I say this because your bike is so new. It may be a good idea to give the performance companies more time to develop stuff for you. These things take some time and work to fine tune. Let somebody else be the guinea pig.

I was under the impression that the 919 hornet was basically using the old CBR900RR engine with fuel injection. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, that motor produced about 115 hp. Seems like your bike has a lot of potential!

One other point. Changing the exhaust and mapping may give you problems with your factory warranty. Maybe, wait until that runs out, monitor the progress of the preformance tuner people and then dive in with gusto!

Of course, if you absolutely can't wait and want to start tinkering now I wouldn't blame you one bit!

-Brian

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode