Ducati 750 Monster. Opinions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Question Ducati 750 Monster. Opinions?

I have a buddy that is looking at the 750 Monster. I am trying to find out what you all think about these bikes as far as reliability, maintenance headaches, and overall impressions of the bikes. Anyone have some good info?

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 06:58 AM
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Arrow

From what I understand, Newer Ducatis (2000+) are far less maintenance intensive than the older ones. The rumor is that the 6K valve adjustments are a thing of the past. If your friend wants as few headaches as possible, he may want to look elsewhere than Ducati. They are beautiful, great bikes but do require more upkeep than their Japanese counterparts. But like all motorcycles, if you stay on top of basic maintenance you should be fine.

With all the aftermarket parts available and with places like e-bay, you most likely don't have to pay dealer prices for parts.

You will also find that most people that tell you to never buy Ducati (98% of these have never owned one themselves) all have a "friend" or "have heard" about some person that had a lemon, that spent 6 grand to fix an oil leak, or spent $3200 to fix a headlight, or had a Duc that grenaded at 400 miles. You will find that 99% of people that have actually OWNED a Duc will say similar to what I have already said: If you take care of it, then you shouldn't have any problems. Everyone I have talked to that has owned one loved them and would own more in a heartbeat.

Try asking this in the Ducati forum too. Those guys will steer you right.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ELO. Good info to hear and I hope to see some other similar responses. My friend that is looking at the Monster had his CBR stolen last summer, but now he is getting the itch again. Just trying to help him out some.

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

l
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2002, 11:36 AM

For my opinion, see the other thread with the identical title and author.????

Once you try track, you never go back.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 04:04 AM

My information may be a little dated, but I'm going to toss in my two cents anyway. I would look at another motorcycle. I owned a Cagiva 650 Alazzura, which is little more than new bodywork tossed on a Ducati 600 Pantah chassis. Now don't get me wrong, I loved riding that bike, but I did have maint. problems. Valves were expensive to have adjusted, the oil pressure sensor constantly leaked oil and if the Italians ran out of blue wire then they just used whatever the next color was on the roll. That made diagnosing electrical problems interesting! Now I freely admit their bikes have gotten much better, but they will require more maint. than something japaneese. Now that is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you know what to expect.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2002, 09:28 AM

Hi Meanstrk,

Have you tried using Google and doing a search for "ducati problems"? You will find a lot of information from people who have owned a Ducati.

From what I have read, they are very unreliable. However, they are very sporty, and some say they are the best handling motorcycles available.

A Ducati may not be the best choice for a primary transportation, or even as your only motorcycle. It would however be a great second motorcycle as long as you have plenty of money and don't mind the high maintenance costs.

Andy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 05:10 AM
Retired Moderator

Hello meanstrk,

I have never owned a Ducati, but my friends have (Like elo pointed out)
Anyway, it's true that they are unreliable, but nowadays this is limited to small things, eg: burning bulbs, small leaks, etc. I haven't heard of major engine problems lately.
Maintenance is also high, mainly because of the desmo and the fact that two heads need to be opened like in any other Vtwin for valve adjustments etc. Clutches are also a bit problematic in town.
Maintenance is crucial to Ducatis, if it's done properly they can last for ever, if not they can break down a lot.
I rode with a 1976 SS 750 moded by NCR to racing spec and it was running great, and I ve also pushed for 5 kms (using the peg technique) an almost new 900SS.

The Monster is a great bike though, more user friendly than any other Ducati, a fun bike really.
I would rather look at the 900 though, the 2 valve with the 900SS engine, not the S4 as it's too expensive, unless your friend has the money and is crazy enough for this bike.
The 600 is very slow, and the 750 is not much better. The 900 has enough power for good fun and the price is very similar to the 750.
The S4 is a basically a naked bike with the 916 engine!

I hope your friend finds what he wants

Aris
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. They pretty much summed up everything I have already told him. He is looking at the Suzuki SV's now, so you have all helped my cause a good bit.
Thanks again

MSgt Usmc
Semper Fi

l
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2002, 06:02 PM

Glad to help.

Have your buddy take a look at the ZRX1200. A lot of motorcycle for the money.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2002, 08:11 AM

Advice

Best regards team:

MEANSTRK: I'll suggest if he's looking at the SV650, Tell him also to check the Kawasaki ZR-7. IMHO much better choice than the SV650 but if he's looking for something more sportier any of the Kawasaki ZX series will work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode