Moving to Glendale area.... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Moving to Glendale area....

hi everyone....moving to glendale around august 1st.i have an 04 r1 and was looking to do some rides in the area.i came out for a mini vacation in april and loved the area.is there anything i might need to know or do when i get there?i'm coming from florida and i'm not to clued in on good riding roads and the like.

thanks for the help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Re: Moving to Glendale area....

Hot in the summer (but perfect in evenings) and perfect the rest of the year. Watch out for the silverbacks here, they never see bikes. This seems to be a harley dominated area, but i have seen alot of sportbikes as well.

Good bike nights, there is one in glendale @ hooters on 83rd and bell. I believe its on thursdays but i cant be positive. I am also just getting back into riding after a 2 year break

Quote:
Originally posted by Prowler
hi everyone....moving to glendale around august 1st.i have an 04 r1 and was looking to do some rides in the area.i came out for a mini vacation in april and loved the area.is there anything i might need to know or do when i get there?i'm coming from florida and i'm not to clued in on good riding roads and the like.

thanks for the help....

Mike

+------------------+
The comments in this post in NO WAY represent reality. The author reserves the right to Deny, Retract, Lie and or change anything said above. Especially in the case said author makes a fool outof himself for being a N00b.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Re: Moving to Glendale area....

Quote:
...is there anything i might need to know or do when i get there?...
What do you mean exactly?

Some tips I could give are.. get your license plates switched to AZ plates within 6 months of arrival.
There are red light cameras at intersections (some, not all) in the dense city areas, watch out for that.

Insurance premiums are high here, for a number of reasons, so be aware of that.
Car and bike theft are very common in the metro Phoenix area. Unfortunately, it's either number 1 or 2 in the nation for vehicle theft, so get a club for your car, and do whatever you can for the bike.

And watch out for the heat. I don't know what Florida's like, but April and August are very different here. Until you get used to it, drink a ton of water and stay cool. Riding between the hours of about 10:00am and 6:00 pm is unadvisable until you get used to the unreal heat.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Welcome to AZ!

As far as tips go, I agree with the previous poster. Aug 1st is one of the hottest times of the year. The heat is on and the humidity is up (not as bad as Florida but with the heat it really sucks). Normally we get some pretty nasty storms here that time of year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.....the florida temps don't get as hot but with the humidity it absolutely bites.been watching the actual temps and the 'feels like' tempsbe tween here and glendale and they seem to run about the same 'feels like' area....although that really doesn't mean too much......i can deal with heat pretty good i think as i work in a concrete un-airconditioned building with no air flow during the summers here and it routinley gets 98-100 inside with all the mug along with it...you can actually feel the paper you touch as being damp.

what are some good rides to take?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to GrCh35 Send a message via Yahoo to GrCh35
It's not bad here at all. You'll get use to it pretty fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's 2 type of riders, the 1's that have gone down & the 1's that are going down. I've been down, which one are you?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by GrCh35
It's not bad here at all. You'll get use to it pretty fast.

heat has never really bothered me before so i think i should acclimate pretty quick.one thing i will miss and hope to find pretty quick are a couple of riding buddies.i don't really like riding by myself as it's pretty boring doing that here....

i've set an august 1st target date to leave florida and maybe depending on stuff here,maybe being there by the first...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to GrCh35 Send a message via Yahoo to GrCh35
Quote:
heat has never really bothered me before so i think i should acclimate pretty quick.one thing i will miss and hope to find pretty quick are a couple of riding buddies.i don't really like riding by myself as it's pretty boring doing that here....

i've set an august 1st target date to leave florida and maybe depending on stuff here,maybe being there by the first...
Seems like you love it here then. Glendale is a good area to live, not to old or to new. I use to live boarder line Gleandale. But I now live in Surprise and love it.

There's 2 type of riders, the 1's that have gone down & the 1's that are going down. I've been down, which one are you?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode