Supermotard question! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Exclamation Supermotard question!

I've decided to build a Supermotard this Spring. I'm at a bit of a loss as to what bike I should start with. I've got a CR125 that's prepped for Arenacross, but I think this bike is a little too small for SM racing. I'd like to get a used bike and I'd prefer either a Honda or Yamaha. I've been looking at 4-strokes and would like to stay between 250cc-450cc. Can any of you SM racers suggest a good bike for me to start my project with?

Thanks!

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:18 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
426's seem popular at the track.

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 04:30 PM

I Checked Ebay

I checked Ebay out and there were quite a few CRF450's used on there. It is a wicked bike, better than the Yami from the reviews I read, but now Yamaha has come out with the 450 so I don't know about that one.
Baja Designs has a good write up on it, and maybe the Yami too.
As for me I am looking at an all arounder, dirt, and street so I am going to stick to a bike like the WR, XR, or DRZ/KLX. I won't be near any tracks : ( but I will be handy lots of dirt, and some wicked twisty's this summer. The motorcrossers have small tanks, and they are geared wrong for top end, it will be a cheaper conversion for me to start with an enduro bike.
This is by far the best web site I have ever come across for links to bike reviews, every bike you want is on there, under manufacturer, and also shootouts.
http://brand.iinet.net.au/

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

I checked Ebay also and you're definitely right, there are a lot of used bikes on there. My biggest concern is price, seeing as how this is just a toy I don't want to drop a lot of cabbage on it. I'm thinking of spending around $3k for the bike and then putting another $1-2k in parts on it. Most of the bikes on Ebay have reserves around $4,500-$5k, sometimes higher.

Tony, I've been talking to a guy who's got a relatively unused 2000 YZ426 and he's asking a very reasonable price for it. I'm wondering if this is the way I should go? I'd prefer a Honda, but if the YZ426 is so popular there must be a reason for it.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 04:24 AM

Yo Dan

Dan about the only thing I read that was bad to me about the Yami, was that to cut down on weight they have a small oil capacity, so they recommend changing it after every race. I am not sure if that was the 426 or the new 450 but it probably applies to both. I think you can't go wrong with a Yamaha, there every bit or better quality than Honda, but maybe Honda builds them a bit heavier to last longer while Yamaha just goes for the best racer.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-21-2003, 05:07 PM

I haven't had a problem with my 2000 426 but here are a few problems they are know to have
They didn't come with any grease on swingarm or steering bearing. they need to be lubed prior to the first ride

The clutch is weak, it doesn't get enough oil. it gets grabby then will eventually go. Alot of people switch the clutch basket out within a couple of months

The bike can be a bitch to start, fouls plugs very easy and it not jetted((mainly the needle tamper) as well as the 2001+

The sprocket bolt come loose easily and if not checked often or have lock-tite on them they can ruin the rear hub.

They need to have their oil changed often but its only a 1 1/2 L

If you plan on running lights then you will need a bigger stator which runs around $400

I think my 426 is great for the track and street, but I would look for a 2001+

I like the 5 speed of the 426 over the 4 speed of the 450

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
99 R6
00 426 supermoto

Last edited by Ducman; 02-21-2003 at 05:46 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Ducman,
Thanks for the info... it sounds like you have a lot of experience with these bikes. Do you have any experience with Hondas 'cause I'd much rather ride red, if given the choice. I've been reading about Honda XRs and CRF450Rs that have been converted for SM racing and I'm at a bit of a loss trying to figure out which is the better way to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:18 AM

Me Too!

Ok so I have basically reached the same position as Dan here. I am getting an enduro because of their larger gas tank, and existing electrical system allows for easy road modification. (I can't afford a strictly race track S.M. bike) From what I have read the XR400 offers pretty lame performance unless heavily modified, the DRZ Suzuki seems popular and powerful, and the WR Yami is great but out of my price range.
However I have been shopping and there are a lot of XR650R's around for respectable prices. My question for you is is this too much bike? It's a bit heavier, but it's motor eats up the competition. I love this bike, but I don't want to buy something I am going to constantly be crashing all the time. I know it will likely be too heavy for trail riding except for dirt roads and bigger less technical stuff off road, what about SuperMoto? KTM has some nice bikes this size, so I was wondering if many people ride them. Like I said it's no good to me as an rookie dirt rider and just getting into this if I am going to crash it to pieces all the time.
I want Red too Dan, I am anti Honda but they have been making XR's a long time and they last forever.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Hahahaha, I'm not the only one bitten by the bug!

'traPPer, here are some links that might answer some of your questions about the XR:
http://www.2wf.com/articles/stories/...B998C075FE.asp
http://www.2wf.com/articles/whats_ne...B555BF2A0F.asp
http://www.2wf.com/articles/bike_tes...A7F7A33E2F.asp

Be sure to read all three links 'cause it's a 3-part series on that bike. I have to say, it seems like a great bike, but I don't have that kind of cheddar to put into aftermarket parts. I'd like a bike that will offer good performance at a reasonable price. Hmmm...

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2003, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

'traPPer,
Read this comparison between the Honda CRF450R, KTM520SX, and Yamaha YZ426F...

http://www.cycleworld.com/xp6/CycleW...ent.xml?body=1

Here's more info on the Honda...
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03oct...02crf450r.html
http://bikepoint.ninemsn.com.au/revi...?bikeID=118236

Looks like we're riding red bro!

Last edited by slaintedan; 02-24-2003 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode