Want to get into Supermotard racing! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to slaintedan
Question Want to get into Supermotard racing!

A few friends of mine have recently gotten into Supermotard racing and I'm considering doing it as well. I'm completely new to the sport and have several questions...

1. I've got a race-prepped CR125 that I'd like to race. Is this too small?

2. What modifications will I need to do to the bike in order to prep it for Supermoto? (it's currently set up for ArenaCross)

3. How much will it cost to convert a dirt bike to a Supermoto bike?

4. Am I crazy for wanting to try Supermotard racing?

Thanks!

Me for Emperor of America!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 02:41 PM

YOu can run with your stock tires in the sportmans class but thats no fun.
So, you need to safety wire your bike if required, but a good idea, run a catch can for the crank case vent and carb. then get 17" wheels which run around $1000 and tires, either rains or cut slicks $300-400
Thats about it
SM racing is cool as hell, you slide coming into corner, slide coming out and everywhere else and takin jumps on slicks is always an eye opening experience.

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
99 R6
00 426 supermoto
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
YOu can run with your stock tires in the sportmans class but thats no fun.
So, you need to safety wire your bike if required, but a good idea, run a catch can for the crank case vent and carb. then get 17" wheels which run around $1000 and tires, either rains or cut slicks $300-400
Thats about it
SM racing is cool as hell, you slide coming into corner, slide coming out and everywhere else and takin jumps on slicks is always an eye opening experience.
So, besides the basic safety wiring and required prep work, I'll only really need to replace the wheels and tires? That's not bad at all! What about setup? In comparison to a motorcross setup, I'm imagining that the bike is "stiffer." Does anybody have any suspension setup advice/tricks?

Also, should I wear regular MX boots and clothing?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:02 AM

I wear full racing leathers and road racing boots. Most people wear Moto-X boots, but I have a hard time riding in them
You can wear moto-X gear in my series but its not recommened. Also wear a back protector. It really saved me in my highside.

For set up. I am running more rebound and a little more compression. I pulled the forks up in the triple clamp to make it turn alittle quicker. But I still haven't found a set up I really like,
Some people drop the suspension a couple of inches to inprove stability, but my pegs are already dragging and my knee gets caught between the handle bars and the ground, so I'm not going to lower mine.

There are alot of mods you can do. Bigger brakes, more HP, suspension changes, but you still can have a hell of a time on a bone stock bike with 17"

Go to Supermotard-usa.com They race in NY

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
99 R6
00 426 supermoto
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Ducman,
Thanks for the advice. It looks like I'll have to give this supermotard racing a try. Wish me luck!

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:12 PM

Me Too

Well I am on the market for a KLX400, XR400, or an XR650. I want to put lights on the bike and plate it, but I was wondering about this sport. I had heard that if you throw the rims and tires on a bike like this you can hold your own in the twisties with a sportbike. I want something thats a bit more versatile and fun to play with than my big ninja. Any comments? Aside from rims is that the only really important change to make?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:50 PM

My Yz 426 is street legal in Mass. I got a title thru VT then transferred it to MA. I threw on a street legal kit from Electrux. very well made.
On tight twisties, I have no problem pulling away from my friend on an R6. My 426 tops out at around 80 mph, so I spend alot of time on tight narrow bumpy backroads with 30-60 mph corners.
SM are great bike to play on. Bach roads, dirt roads, around town, nothing beats them. Graet power to weight and extremely fickable. of course if you go out to high speed sweepers you're going to get left behind. My YZ is my only street legal bike. I sold my 748 because I didn't ride it. Now my speeds are slower but the slides are bigger

ccs #282
SM-USA #88
99 R6
00 426 supermoto
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
My Yz 426 is street legal in Mass. I got a title thru VT then transferred it to MA. I threw on a street legal kit from Electrux. very well made.
On tight twisties, I have no problem pulling away from my friend on an R6. My 426 tops out at around 80 mph, so I spend alot of time on tight narrow bumpy backroads with 30-60 mph corners.
SM are great bike to play on. Bach roads, dirt roads, around town, nothing beats them. Graet power to weight and extremely fickable. of course if you go out to high speed sweepers you're going to get left behind. My YZ is my only street legal bike. I sold my 748 because I didn't ride it. Now my speeds are slower but the slides are bigger
I agree.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 04:44 AM

WOW

Well my reasons are:
1. Off road would be nice, dirt bikes are a lot of fun.
2. Wheelies and other stunts at much slower speeds and reduced risk of death than on my Ninja, and also cheaper repairs.
3. Canada has a lot of crappy roads and you just can't get full use out of a Sportbike a lot of times.
4. I would ride a dirt bike in much worse weather, as long as their was bare pavement I would go for a rip, but I won't roll the ninja out with salt and sand all over the roads, and snow banks.
5. Just to be different. Having a normally dirt only bike plated and tearing up and down public streets sound like a lot of fun to me.
I want to keepp the Ninja for the longer hauls and the nice canyon roads, but a bike like yours would be a great daily commuter and night time play toy, and like you said if switching tires is all it takes a weekend in the dirt would be a blast too.
The Dual sports are all heavy and de tuned, I do want a real dirt bike.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

I have to agree with you guys, it does make a lot of sense to have a supermotard, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have great roads. Living in New York I'm constantly avoiding potholes, road salt, ice, reckless drivers, etc. and it would be nice to have a bike that: 1) doesn't cost as much to repair, 2) isn't capable of mind-numbing speeds, 3) is a little more comfortable to ride, 4) is different than all the other sportbikes and cruisers, 5) is confident on all road surfaces, 6) is cheaper to insure, 7) can take a beating and come back for more, and 8) can throw it's ass out without taking a piss!

Damnit, just what I need....another addiction!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode