Want to get into Supermotard racing! - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:21 AM

The are a few negatives to SM or at least my 426.
Small gas tank. I have to hit the gas station all the time

My bike is extremely loud with the stock pipe, with a plugged up WR pipe it is quiet but loses alot of power

My bike vibrates alot and with the narrow seat, parts of my body will start to feel funny and not in the good way. I have to stand up on the straights.

People always ask why you are riding a dirt bike with tiny wheel on the road and when you try to explain SM to them they look at you like you're an idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Ducman,
Do you think these problems are exclusive to your 426 or are your complaints in keeping with the rest of the SM community's mindset?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
I have to agree with you guys, it does make a lot of sense to have a supermotard, especially if you live in an area that doesn't have great roads. Living in New York I'm constantly avoiding potholes, road salt, ice, reckless drivers, etc. and it would be nice to have a bike that: 1) doesn't cost as much to repair, 2) isn't capable of mind-numbing speeds, 3) is a little more comfortable to ride, 4) is different than all the other sportbikes and cruisers, 5) is confident on all road surfaces, 6) is cheaper to insure, 7) can take a beating and come back for more, and 8) can throw it's ass out without taking a piss!

Damnit, just what I need....another addiction!
Quote:
isn't capable of mind-numbing speeds
It's all relative, in the twisty rough stuff you can exploit the bikes speed potential to a level that would numb any sport-bike riders mind!

Another good thing about secondary road-blasting is the lack of traffic and cops.

Try it...........You'll like it!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 05:32 PM

Help

Ok well give some help then. I have heard and read that the bigger 650's are too much for the dirt, and really are only good for desert rallies and stuff, but for super motard that big single would have some nice power. It's no good to me though if I can't keep it up (hahaha) in the woods.
So should I get the 400 then? They are a bit cheaper, lighter and maybe a lot more manageble in the dirt.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by slaintedan
Ducman,
Do you think these problems are exclusive to your 426 or are your complaints in keeping with the rest of the SM community's mindset?
I think that the complaints are exclusive to Supercross type bikes.
The Wr or Xr style bike are more relaxed, less vibration, quieter and more range, but less power. The Pros certainly out weigh the cons on the supercross bike. If you are looking for a SM to rip around town and back roads then I think an enduro would be better. If you are going to go to the track than the motocross will be better. If I was going to build a SM again I would get the same bike again, or get a 426 for the SM tracks, a KTM for the street and a CR 500 in a 250 frame for larger track.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducman
I think that the complaints are exclusive to Supercross type bikes.
The Wr or Xr style bike are more relaxed, less vibration, quieter and more range, but less power. The Pros certainly out weigh the cons on the supercross bike. If you are looking for a SM to rip around town and back roads then I think an enduro would be better. If you are going to go to the track than the motocross will be better. If I was going to build a SM again I would get the same bike again, or get a 426 for the SM tracks, a KTM for the street and a CR 500 in a 250 frame for larger track.

Ok, that's way too many options. LOL I'm thinking about 1 bike that will mostly see track duty, but will be capable of hitting the public roads every now and then with my other friends who have SMs. Seeing as how I'm completely new to SMs I don't really want to go bigger than a 250 for the first year, maybe less. It's a totally different style of riding and I want to get used to it before I get a "big" bike. Besides, a 125/250 is probably cheaper to repair than a big KTM, CR500, etc.

Do you think that I'm wasting my time prepping a 125 if I'm only gonna ride it for 1 year at most? Will a 125 be too slow on the streets if my buddies are riding bigger bikes? I know, I know, slow depends on how you ride it... But I'm thinking of straight-line speed and getting my plastics blown off on the straights is not an option.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 10:48 AM

2 stroke

I ruled out 2 strokes immediatley because of repairs and gas. The bigger 4 strokes are heavier but I think would be a better option at least for me anyways. From all I have read the enduro bikes are easy to convert and the Suzuki DRZ400 is supposed to be one of the better bikes. Now they make it in Kawasaki green as the KLX400 (SAME BIKE). Now all I need is that winning lottery ticket....
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Re: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally posted by maDDtraPPer
I ruled out 2 strokes immediatley because of repairs and gas. The bigger 4 strokes are heavier but I think would be a better option at least for me anyways. From all I have read the enduro bikes are easy to convert and the Suzuki DRZ400 is supposed to be one of the better bikes. Now they make it in Kawasaki green as the KLX400 (SAME BIKE). Now all I need is that winning lottery ticket....

Funny you posted this 'cause right after my last post on this thread I surfed over to the Honda and Yamaha websites and checked out their new 250 4-strokes. I really think this is the way to go for SM. Now, if only maDDtraPPer would send me some of his lottery winnings...
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:23 PM

Great minds think alike.

And funny you should post that because I just got finished reading a review of the new 2003 WR250 YAMI. I have ruled out 250 though because of the top end speed and revs. A 400 will get up there, and not be screaming.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 02:06 PM

I would stay away from 2-stroke if you want to ride on the road or have engine braking.
I think a 250 4-stroke will be alittle underpowered on the street, especially since you have to gear them so high to keep the revs at decent levels.
But If you are mostly going to be on SM tracks and not roadracing track, then I think the 250f will be great. If you want to try the 250 make sure all the parts transfer to the bigger bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode