Just Joined the Cult - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
elo

Send a message via Yahoo to elo
Talking Just Joined the Cult

Well, sort of! My husband bought a 2002 KTM Duke last month. Very cool bike. I know, I know... he cheated by not building his own, but he absolutely loves the bike. He did a track day on it also, if you're interested here's the link. I can say with all honesty I haven't seen him this excited about a full sized motorcycle since he had his TL1000s. Giggling like a schoolgirl is an apt description.

I have ridden it and it's an impressive machine. The power delivery is superb and I'm impressed with the attention to detail.

Erica

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Your one stop source for all things pocketbike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-Official Website for the SouthWest Association of Pocketbikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:30 AM

Good pics. How well does it hang with the sportbikes? Looks impressive!

KNEE DOWN FINGER UP!!!!

That will buff out!!

Women are like parking spaces.....you get in...you get out....and you leave it behind you!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 09:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to nominal_squid
Thumbs up

Cool, welcome to the cult of supermotard!! Nothing at all wrong with buying a factory-built one...much simpler that way. I'm wishing I'd gone that route myself. Don't let him hog that bike all to himself - make sure you get your share of riding it

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
elo

Talking

Don't worry, I'll get my share of time on it!

Bri was in B group and was having no problems keeping up with a GSXR 1000 and Robert on his ZX9R. He passed more people than not. Firebird is a pretty short track, it definitely favors smaller machines. Like any motorcycle, if you can carry cornerspeed, you have a big advantage. He said the Duke acted as close to a two-stroke in that regard as any bike he's ridden.

The guy on the 426 was bumped to A group, almost NOBODY could catch that guy!

Erica

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to FZR400Tony
i know it's not mr. erica , but i love this pic...

http://www.cecilwalker.com/PhotoSite.../img_34501.htm

Tony

Coward stays behind freedom.
A braveman stands in front of freedom and defends it for others.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2002, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
elo

That guy was AWESOME to watch!

Erica

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2002, 10:03 AM

Thumbs up Welcome to the fun side!

So, when are you getting your SuperMotard elo?

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
elo

Smile

I don't think I'm ready to go "full tard" yet, I haven't reached that zen in my riding yet. Why should I when I have a perfectly good Duke in the garage whenever the mood strikes?

In all seriousness, I put a few more miles on the bike this weekend and it was... very different. I've never ridden a dirtbike in my life, it's all been sportbikes. I do like the upright riding position, but I was confused as to where to sit, there's SO MUCH seat! And after pulling over to check the rear tire pressure I later learned that they just are light in the rear. That's a little disconcerting if you don't know! The bike definitely needs a steering damper, even my husband admitted that it shakes at anything over 50. The only huge complaint I have is that it has no fairing. I really like having something to block some of the wind. My neck hurts!

I'll say it again though, I love the motor. It's so smooth and controllable! Too bad the bike is so tall, the way it acts it would make a spectacular beginners bike, so confidence inspiring. And I thought it would be wierd and unstable in corners being so high but it actually felt (shhhh, don't tell anyone I said this) better than my SV.

Erica

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 04:50 PM

Talking

Well you're right, it is a good start and SuperMotards are a blast! The lesser travelled bumpy twisty roads are a revelation on a SuperMotard also. Any-who, enjoy!

Try it...........You'll like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode