MZ Black Panther - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

MZ Black Panther

I am some what new to this section of the board so I will introduce myself. I used to have a CBR 600 F4 that I recently sold becuase I came to the realization that those kind of bikes are boring. Since I race motorcross, I wanted to get a bike that would be as close as possible to riding a motorcross bike on the street so I recently picked up a MZ. For those of you not familiar with MZ, the bike is made in Germany and uses a Yamaha 5 valve 660 engine. So far I have added an M4 pipe and rejetted both carbs. The torque from this bike is incredible and when you rip it open, you can feel bike squat down. I also contacted Scott's Performance and had them come up with a mount that would allow the use of thier steering damper on the bike. With the damper in place, the bike is rock solid and tracks with knife edge precision. More changes are in store for the future so I will keep you posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dano33.jpg (95.6 KB, 211 views)

Life is better when you are able to jump the wheelchair ramp at your local Blockbuster.

Last edited by Grok; 03-19-2002 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 09:57 PM

Smile Welcome!

Good to see you aboard!
I granted your wish and put all your pictures in one post. Then I deleted the redundent posts.

Keep them coming as you do more mods.

Enjoy your machine.

Try it...........You'll like it!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 05:14 AM

"Life is better when you are able to jump the wheelchair ramp at your local Blockbuster"

Amen.

How do you like the MuZ? I was in love with it for a while, but I found it to be a bit... umm... Heavy?
Opinions?

"I got your Big Mac right here!!"

~Ronald

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2002, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

MZ's ability

So far I am very pleased with the bike. Yep, it is a little heavier than I would like, but you do not notice it as much when the bike is under way. The bike is very flickable, and the engine more than makes up for it. There is a shop in Mass. called Bikeworx that does a lot of work on these bikes, and has been able to get over 70 hp out of the MZ engines. From what I hear, these engines are realiable and amazingly fast. My opinion is that if you are going to wrap a frame around that much horsepower, you may as well make it as sturdy as possible.

As I do more mods to the bike I will look for ways to lighten in. Getting rid of the stock exhaust and emissions canister helped quite a bit (about 10 pounds) and I am sure there are other things I could do to help. I'll keep you posted.

Life is better when you are able to jump the wheelchair ramp at your local Blockbuster.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Yet anoter birdeye view with the tach

Here is another view of the MZ. This time it is a birds eye view that has a pic of the tach mounted. Tach works pretty well considering that the MZ can shake hard when reved (what 4 stroke doesn't!)

Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mzface.jpg (116.6 KB, 195 views)

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2002, 08:56 AM

Re: Yet anoter birdeye view with the tach

Quote:
Originally posted by Dano33
Here is another view of the MZ. This time it is a birds eye view that has a pic of the tach mounted. Tach works pretty well considering that the MZ can shake hard when reved (what 4 stroke doesn't!)

Enjoy.
I love how the Tach on the MuZ looks just like a speedo!

Got any action photos of that beast? Like from blockbuster?

~Ronald
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2002, 08:44 AM

I also find it amusing that the Black Panther" has "White Power" suspension.

~Ronald
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:07 AM

Here's another plug for the Panther; I've had mine for almost a year now and love it. Most of my riding is at 5000 ft above sea level in hill country and downshifting is still pretty much optional--one hill in particular has my pickup in 2nd gear at 25mph and my bike in 5th at 70mph. It gets wheezy much above 80; not a problem for me. I have the M4 can also, sounds good and fills out the powerband if it doesn't give much more peak power. Hard to find a new bike this cool and user friendly for 6 grand. I looked at the KTM Duke and Supermoto; they are lighter but more expensive and the engine isn't nearly as smooth (for a thumper) as the MZ's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode