Yamaha SuperMotard Survey - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Arrow Yamaha SuperMotard Survey

Check it out! SuperMotard Survey Pretty interesting preamble as well.

The "R1 look" supermotard is cool looking.

Try it...........You'll like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2002, 05:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to nominal_squid
Nice ideas....

...I hope some of them will make it to the US. I'd love to see a slightly less expensive alternative to the KTM Duke II, particularly the R1-eyed concept pictured.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 09:04 AM

Re: Nice ideas....

Quote:
Originally posted by nominal_squid
...I hope some of them will make it to the US. I'd love to see a slightly less expensive alternative to the KTM Duke II, particularly the R1-eyed concept pictured.
The Duke II really isn't a supermotard.

"I got your Big Mac right here!!"

~Ronald

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 11:20 AM

Re: Re: Nice ideas....

Quote:
The Duke II really isn't a supermotard.
What definition of supermotard are you using to come up with that? I figure it's as much a supermotard as someone putting alloy wheels, lower suspension, and huge brakes onto a MX/enduro bike. In fact, it is essentially an LC4 with the above mentioned mods performed at the factory. So it may not be a factory-prep racebike like the Husky SMR's or Husabergs, but that does not necessarily make it any less a motard.

IMNSHO, YMMV, blah
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Geeeee

I think KLR err VFR Squid is taking exception to the mag type wheels. Typically a SuperMotard has wire wheels, they stand up better to jumps and dirt use.

Otherwise I would call a Duke a SuperMotard and anything close to it, I mean, come on, this is a growing sport and we are bound to see some creative interpretations of this concept.

Vive la difference!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up Vive la motards!

Grok, good point...I forgot to mention that the Duke is available with wire wheels for 2002 Didn't mean to sound like I'm jumping all over someone else's interpretation of the motard concept.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 01:19 PM

Re: Geeeee

Quote:
Originally posted by Grok
I think KLR err VFR Squid is taking exception to the mag type wheels. Typically a SuperMotard has wire wheels, they stand up better to jumps and dirt use.

Otherwise I would call a Duke a SuperMotard and anything close to it, I mean, come on, this is a growing sport and we are bound to see some creative interpretations of this concept.

Vive la difference!
Not just the wheels my friend.....

True the Duke is part motard, but the Duke I is more a motard. KTM has a full on motard, the LC4 Supermoto. The Supermoto is what a motard should be, a dirt bike with sticky tires 25lbs lighter than it's cousin, the Duke II. The suspension on the LC4 Supermoto is around 11-12 plush inches It also has a longer wheelbase and a leading axle

The Duke is more of a Sport Single. It is a pure apex stafer! Almost nothing will outhandle it. You couldn't push the SM as hard IMHO, the front would push out. The Duke is not easy to slide and the suspension in only about 5-6 inches of stiffer travel.

I love both of these bikes, I'd probably pick the SM overall. Because the SM is almost identical to the LC4 in every aspect, minus the rims. I'd just like to have the true offroad capabilities for when you want to hit the dirt. ya know?

~Ronald
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 01:20 PM

Oh I forgot! The Duke has INSANE 4 pot piston brakes up front, where the LC4 series has only 2 pot.

Peace!

~Ronald
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2002, 07:01 PM

Well, ok, it's an insane street single...no debating that point at all. The suspension and brakes are incredible, even next to sportbikes. I found it quite easy to slide actually...but you didn't hear that from me, it was a demo bike
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2002, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Cool

In the Yamaha survey, they claim the TDR250 is a SuperMotard! Now thats stretching it.

Everybody has their own opinions about what's a real cruiser or the best sportbike and people will have the hots for their particular favorite. But when we're talking about motorcycles within a few general categories, I gotta say a Duke belongs here on this forum. Anyways, it is one helluva cool stepping-stone to a more hard-core SuperMotard!

I mean, Husaberg makes the absolute BEST production supermotard!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode