CushDrive?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Hysyde
Question CushDrive??

Hey Grok, or anyone else who might know...What is the verdict about cush drives (or lack thereof) on SMs. I've just about decided to say to hell with a new sportbike, and buy a SM. I know of a few great deals on either a CR 500 or a KX right now, and before I commit, I want to know just how big of a negative impact on the driveline, the lack of a cush drive has. I know going with a motocross two-stroke SuperM conversion, I can probably expect engine rebuilds periodically, but I don't like the idea of tranny rebuilds, especially given the costs involved. What can I expect?? I've pondered just buying a purpose built SM, like a KTM or something, but I really want an oil-burner, and I can much more easily afford to do a conversion on a somewhat used motocross bike right now, since I'm going back to school next September.

I plan to put quite a bit of mileage on any bike I build or buy, and I just want the low down on the reliability of two-stroke SMs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 05:48 AM

Wouldn't the cush drive be part of switching to street wheels?

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 06:56 AM

If you re-lace a new rim too most dirt hubs, you still won't have a cush drive.

Hysyde, a cushdrive is a real good idea, especially when you have sticky road rubber and no other shock-absorbing in your drive-line. Some bikes have cushioning in the clutch hub, but busted trannys are inconvenient and expensive. You could relace a dual-purpose wheel or find some ready-made Motard wheels. Some adapt a sportbike's wheel to their machine.
I do know one guy who doesn't run a cush drive on an XR650, but he always gets a new bike every year and only puts on about 1000 kms. He hasn't scrapped a tranny though!

I run a cush drive....

Try it...........You'll like it!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Grok
If you re-lace a new rim too most dirt hubs, you still won't have a cush drive.

Ahhh, I know next to nothing about this process. I always thought the entire street assembly was used, hub and all. Learn something new every day.

James

If 33 red cows enter a race with a total of 37 cows, should anyone be surprised when a red cow wins?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 08:14 AM

Wink

No worrys, that's the point of a forum!

Try it...........You'll like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode