Super Motard - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Super Motard

I have some questions about the super motard sport.

1. What does super motard mean?

2. I can see wanting to ride one of these on the track but I can't see ever wanting to take them out for a street ride. I had a 99 yz400f (dirtbike) and I can't see just taking it out for a cruise. Is the sport common in the US yet? If not, is it expected to be?

3. What do you do with the gearing of these bikes? If it's the same then you probably can't even take these things onto the highway?

4. How is it possible to legalize a two-stroke for the street? I didn't think that was allowed under any circumstances.

I pitty the foo that doesn't give me back my gold chains-- Mr. T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 02:02 AM
Banned

There is a SuperMotard forum on SBW. Just scroll down.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 09:47 PM

Super motard is super motorcyclist in french. This originally was a series meant to showcase the talents of motorcycling's top racers, racers from MX, flat-track, Road Racing, then throw them on a mixed surface, closed course, riding suitable machinery. The winner is the "Super Motorcyclist"
The machines (supermotards) are designed to compete in this challenging enviroment. The most popular ones are endowed with a huge 2 or 4-stroke single, Tweaked dirt suspension, sticky hand-cut tires and serious brakes.
For the streets this type of bike is a surprising blast.
Some reasons:
Since the average public secondary road is a far cry from the superb pavement on a track, the extra suspension provides endless line choices with a huge margin of safety.
A big tuned 4 stroke single can easily deliver over 50 torquey horseys to the rear wheel. Modern engines produce very little vibration and have broad, meaty power-bands.
On a bike weighing so little with the mass so central, well, flickable doesn't begin to describe how fast you can change direction. Quick and responsive, ah nuts you have to ride one!

Don't gold wing or iron butt rally one of these, ride em to work, in the city, on twisty country roads.....Theyr'e a blast everywhere.
Also,
If you don't do a big stoppy or wheely in front of a cop, they just seem to ignore you!

Ask the local shop what it takes to get a 2-stroke on the street in your area.
You can definitely take em on the freeway, but since you don't have a fairing, 90 mph is about as fast as you would want to go.
The slender seat sucks on the freeway however.

Try it...........You'll like it!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 11:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to naefearjustbeer
How reliable are Super Motards for every day use . Riding to work every day and the occaisional longer run 100miles plus? I really like the idea of a bike that you can throw around in the twisties and have a lot of fun on without worrying about getting caught over the 100mph (Instant Ban on licence). I really fancy one but wont be able to afford to have it as a second bike. the wife is about to have our first child and the financial priorities are changing. I know how unreliable tuned 2 strokes can be so is a 4 stroke a good option?

Donnie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 05:29 AM

I really like the 2-stroke, but they are too impractical if you have to premix gas every-time you fill up.

So, in my opinion, a 4-stroke is the powerplant of choice for most needs.

Reliability on a modern big single isn't an issue and the vibes are well under control. For example my Berg employs a axially crank mounted balancer, that counter-rotates (reducing gyroscopic forces), quelling the vibes to a remarkable degree!
I use my bike as a commuter and have spent a couple of 200 mile+ days on it. I've never looked forward to the old commute as much as I do with this bike! Amazing the shortcuts one can exploit with a bike like this.
Be careful not to to humiliate your GSXR/R1 buddies if you get one, they might stop riding with you. Or get a hotter one

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2001, 05:33 AM

Here is a more detailed description of my ride. (scroll down)My ride

and

A picture!

Last edited by Grok; 12-02-2001 at 05:37 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 02:35 AM
Banned

Are those the Avon's Gripsters?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2001, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KLRAdam
Are those the Avon's Gripsters?
Yes, indeedy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode