Super Motard Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Super Motard Questions

Hi Gang,
The THB is working up a winter project bike, my DRZ400S Dual Sport Spudzuki. I want to set up this toy for playing in the canyons, but want to maintain some feasability for fairly tame off-roading (I like to trail ride with my kids, mostly dirt fire roads, fairly tame stuff)

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 08:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
Buy some hubs and have 17" rims laced on, when you want to play in the dirt put the stock wheels back on.

Let us know how it turns out.

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 01:33 AM
ronnyzx6r

Also lowering it wouldn't be a hard thing. Links are about $100, you can install them in about 20 minutes. Lower the forks about 1 1/2 inches also. I leave the forks lowered at all times and switch the links back and forth if I need to go off road.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Wink

Cool.

OK, first the wheels. I assume we're talking about a complete set, with the brake rotors and rear sprocket...right? Any idea what kind of sheckles $$ we're talking about?

Links, I saw a discussion about Kouba Links over at the Thumper Talk Forums. I'll check those out.

Fork Lowering: I was eyeballing that last night. It seems I'll need to find some handlebars that would accomodate that, as the stock bars ride right above the tops of the fork tubes in the upper triple clamp. Any thoughts as to who builds bars that would deal with that?

Side note: I'm prepping the bike in flat black, as I'm not much of a fan of fly yellow. After roughing up the plastic, I shot it with a light coat of flat black...it looks very cool. Also trimmed off the horrendous rear fender mudflap/jibsail and it really cleaned up the looks from the rear. I'm going to investigate getting a piece of plexiglas formed to attach to the upper part of the headlight-numberplate cowl, to create a sort of mini-fairing. I'll probably also give the front fender a "haircut" for asthetic purposes.

I'll try and get a few photos along the way and post 'em.

Thanks for any additional info or suggestions you might have.

Regards,
THB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drz400-1.jpg (11.3 KB, 127 views)

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 02:48 AM
ronnyzx6r

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
Cool.

OK, first the wheels. I assume we're talking about a complete set, with the brake rotors and rear sprocket...right? Any idea what kind of sheckles $$ we're talking about?
If you go with excel rims, you're looking at lots of money!!
Go with a set of old CBR rims or something.

Quote:
Links, I saw a discussion about Kouba Links over at the Thumper Talk Forums. I'll check those out.
they are worth the $100.

Quote:
Fork Lowering: I was eyeballing that last night. It seems I'll need to find some handlebars that would accomodate that, as the stock bars ride right above the tops of the fork tubes in the upper triple clamp. Any thoughts as to who builds bars that would deal with that?
My friend has a DRZ400 SM, I'll ask him but check with Renthal?

Quote:
Side note: I'm prepping the bike in flat black, as I'm not much of a fan of fly yellow. After roughing up the plastic, I shot it with a light coat of flat black...it looks very cool. Also trimmed off the horrendous rear fender mudflap/jibsail and it really cleaned up the looks from the rear. I'm going to investigate getting a piece of plexiglas formed to attach to the upper part of the headlight-numberplate cowl, to create a sort of mini-fairing. I'll probably also give the front fender a "haircut" for asthetic purposes.
I want to linex my bike, the truck bedliner stuff. It would look cool and be tuff as shit!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Go with a set of old CBR rims or something.
Do you think the disk rotor/hub offset would work on this? I hadn't thought about using a set of wheels of another bike, but now that you mention it, I think that's the way to go (cheaper too) I would guess that I don't need to try and fit really wide rims, as to clearance challenges as well as the fact that the bike only weighs 250 pounds. I'll start researching that and see what I can interchange. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
I want to linex my bike, the truck bedliner stuff. It would look cool and be tuff as shit!
RHINO MOTARD

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 04:06 AM
MickR7

Tahoe,

If you're not looking to build a hardcore SM, there are a few "cheap" modifications you can make. You can strap down the front suspension about 1.5 inches. When you're ready to do some off-road, just remove the strap. Renthal does make a number of styles of bars, that's what I'd suggest. As for the rear suspension, just leave it stock. ronny is right about the rims. You should be able to find a cheap set of rims from one of the smaller sportbikes. For tires, I recommend the Dunlop K-591. You'll get good longevity, and they grip fine for casual blasting.

If you need additional info, let me know. Have fun.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

I must have missed something there, but I didn't see anything offending.

To your corners, gentlemen.

I appreciate ALL your input.

Back on track here: Tell me more about "strapping" the front suspension. Is it merely some kind of "pre-load strap" like a robust chunk of nylon keeping the front suspension pre-loaded a couple inches? Sounds very low-tech, but probably works great...I've always loved the KISS approach.

Are you aware of any fork braces for this bike and do you think one would be necessary?

Ditto on the K-591's, I used to run the old K-91's on my RD's and XS-650, great tires indeed.

Do you know if the Kouba links change the action of the suspension, other than travel and ride height? By this I'm wondering if they effect the damping, spring-rate or other aspects?

Thanks for your input guys.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 05:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Fatman
If you install 17" wheels won't you be lowering your bike 3" or more in front and 1" or more in back running street tires?

I wouldn't mess with the suspension until You get everything mounted up and see how the bike handles.

A 17" wheel on the front will make the bike steer much faster and you wouldn't want to steer the front end right out from underneath you.

Good luck!

Build a man a fire, and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Everything I know I learned from killing smart people and eating their brains.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Interesting question there, Slim.

The bike has 21" front and 18" rear, but the profile is quite different on road tires vs. dirt, so that will take some research. I agree though, I should set up the wheels before fooling with the suspension. However a couple things would have to be addressed for sure. The front springs are fairly soft progressives, so a pre-load would likely clean up the front end. Further, by changing the wheel size, you would split the size, so to go from a 21" to a 17", it would drop the nose 2", tire change not withstanding and the rear would be negligable at best.

Anyone have an idea as to what sportbike wheels might be interchangable without undue modification? Also, why 17" and not 18" (keep the rear an 18" and simply change the front to 18")

BTW Fatman, I prefer Guinness Stout

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode