Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to Hysyde
Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Recently I was talking to a buddy about my planned purchase of a new, or slightly used, sportbike next year, and I got to thinking. I'm really starting to consider a supermotard, a two-stroke (CR 500, KX500, or even a 250 dirt bike) in particular.

I know there would be many drawbacks as compared to a regular sportbike, like limited touring ability, likely higher maintenance, lack of fuel capacity, pre-mix fuel, relatively low top speed, and lack of wind protection (any others Iíve havenít considered??).
On the plus side I get a highly nimble, nasty sounding, wheelie machine, and I wonít be seeing too many otherís like it on the road.
Licensing an offroad bike for the street is no problem around here and insurance would be a lot less (Iím pretty sure) than what Iíve paid for on previous streetbikes, which is another plus. Also, wouldnít they make an awesome track bike? There are several supermotard classes at the local tracks, and even if it didnít fit, or wouldnít be competitive in those classes, it would still be blast on open trackdays.
Not only that, but, Iím pretty sure that the initial purchase price (it doesnít have to be brand new) and the cost of all the modifications, would be A LOT less than the $10, 000+ or so it would cost for a new F4I, ĎBlade, or R1 etc., etc. Thatís a definite consideration.
I do have an old FZ 600 (my first bike, which Iíve never let go), lying around thatís nearly finished being restored. It could fill in for some of the more rigorous touring and commuting duties, and let me still enjoy all the benefits of sportbikes, even though itís an older bike.
The thing is, I donít know a whole lot of what Iíve got to do to build a streetable supermotard. Iíve never heard the verdict on whether they can be operated reliably (i.e. without destroying its transmission) without a cushioned driveline. Also I have no idea where to buy the necessarily modified wheels and other specific parts. What kind of top-speed and cruising abilities can you expect from these types of bikes? Iíve never really talked to any local shops about this but I know of several CR 500ís and XRís that run the streets around here. Maybe if two-strokes are just not the way to go, I guess I could try to consider a YZF or XR, but that would take away some of the excitment IMO. If anyone has any ideas, info, or links to sites that can help me it would be greatly appreciated, as this is something I would seriously like to do as long as I can get a very clear picture of what Iím getting into.

PS Ė Sorry for the length of this postÖ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 08:32 PM

Super motard

There is a growing band of riders here going away from big sportsbikes as some are finding that the gatso infested roads are no fun anymore. Their way of getting serious kicks at lower speeds are super motards. I wager that down a twistie road, a sportbike will have a tough time keeping up with these lunatic bikes
Yes, they have limitations but it depends on how, what and where you ride. If it's a second bike, even better.

I found these by searching : super motard. Try this and if that fails go to : http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...137/Rides.html

CR250:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crm250sm.jpg (27.1 KB, 529 views)

Better Smeg than dead
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 08:34 PM

The 4 stroke option

KTM:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kt300.jpg (24.5 KB, 531 views)

Better Smeg than dead

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 08:35 PM

The British option

CCM :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r30green.jpg (23.8 KB, 516 views)

Better Smeg than dead
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 08:45 PM

There seems to be plenty of guys doing this in the states so info shouldn't be too hard to come by.
Really neat CR500:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rside1.jpg (376.6 KB, 549 views)

Better Smeg than dead
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 12:42 AM
ronnyzx6r

Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hysyde
Recently I was talking to a buddy about my planned purchase of a new, or slightly used, sportbike next year, and I got to thinking. I'm really starting to consider a supermotard, a two-stroke (CR 500, KX500, or even a 250 dirt bike) in particular.

I know there would be many drawbacks as compared to a regular sportbike, like limited touring ability, likely higher maintenance, lack of fuel capacity, pre-mix fuel, relatively low top speed, and lack of wind protection (any others Iíve havenít considered??).
On the plus side I get a highly nimble, nasty sounding, wheelie machine, and I wonít be seeing too many otherís like it on the road.
Licensing an offroad bike for the street is no problem around here and insurance would be a lot less (Iím pretty sure) than what Iíve paid for on previous streetbikes, which is another plus. Also, wouldnít they make an awesome track bike? There are several supermotard classes at the local tracks, and even if it didnít fit, or wouldnít be competitive in those classes, it would still be blast on open trackdays.
Not only that, but, Iím pretty sure that the initial purchase price (it doesnít have to be brand new) and the cost of all the modifications, would be A LOT less than the $10, 000+ or so it would cost for a new F4I, ĎBlade, or R1 etc., etc. Thatís a definite consideration.
I do have an old FZ 600 (my first bike, which Iíve never let go), lying around thatís nearly finished being restored. It could fill in for some of the more rigorous touring and commuting duties, and let me still enjoy all the benefits of sportbikes, even though itís an older bike.
The thing is, I donít know a whole lot of what Iíve got to do to build a streetable supermotard. Iíve never heard the verdict on whether they can be operated reliably (i.e. without destroying its transmission) without a cushioned driveline. Also I have no idea where to buy the necessarily modified wheels and other specific parts. What kind of top-speed and cruising abilities can you expect from these types of bikes? Iíve never really talked to any local shops about this but I know of several CR 500ís and XRís that run the streets around here. Maybe if two-strokes are just not the way to go, I guess I could try to consider a YZF or XR, but that would take away some of the excitment IMO. If anyone has any ideas, info, or links to sites that can help me it would be greatly appreciated, as this is something I would seriously like to do as long as I can get a very clear picture of what Iím getting into.

PS Ė Sorry for the length of this postÖ
Can you register a Honda CR up there for the street? The ASM supermotard class was won buy a guy on a CR250 this year. Don't get a 500. They are too much bike.

The Yammi's are the popular item. Me? I like the KTM 520 EXC.
There is also quite a few guys on STOCK dirt bikes, Like DR400's, they do ok.

The yammi has a top speed of around 170 km/h so does the DRZ400.
Is there a KTM dealer in Ottawa? KTM allows test rides, I highly recomend a ride on a Duke or a 640 SM. Their top speed is about 180 km/h.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:23 AM

Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnyzx6r

Is there a KTM dealer in Ottawa? KTM allows test rides, I highly recomend a ride on a Duke or a 640 SM. Their top speed is about 180 km/h.
Oops, I forgot about what is probably the diffinitive super motard.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the KTM Duke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duke00g.jpg (54.6 KB, 504 views)

Better Smeg than dead
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:40 AM
ronnyzx6r

Re: Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead

Oops, I forgot about what is probably the diffinitive super motard.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the KTM Duke.
The KTM Duke II is NOT a true SuperMotard (or SuperMoto as you put it.). Thank you very much.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:44 AM
Pete

Re: Re: Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnyzx6r

The KTM Duke II is NOT a true SuperMotard (or SuperMoto as you put it.). Thank you very much.
So, Ronny, what makes a bike a "true" supermotard?
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 01:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
A lady at KTM says that they won't warranty any bike used as a supermotard which doesn't have a cush drive. So yes you need it. To me a two stroke would not be worth the hassle with premixing and frequent top end rebuilds. My top choice now would be either the 250 or 400 four stroke yammies.

I hate to say this but unless you are just in love with the idea of a motard a used RZ350 is just as good has more comfortable ergos and better range. And it's cheaper too.

There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright red, hunchback, warp-speed 900cc cafť racer is one of them -- but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous.
H.S.T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode