Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions? - Page 5 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-16-2004, 04:35 AM

I'm selling both of my street bikes and going motard style in the spring....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:28 AM

Having talked to many a racer of SuperMotard and after seeing some wickedly bad mini bikes 50 - 100 cc Sm bikes heres my 2 cents. Get a new or used CR450f. Lace your hub with 17 inch wheels and spokes and attach street tires, and your off. you may want to change the gearing to a bit higher top end, but other than that your done. You can get turn signals and such off of the CR450x, but you dont want to use that as a base bike because its a trail bike, not as much punch as a 450f. I have a CR250 and my friend can wheelie past me with ease. The power of a 250 Two-Stroke is nothing compaired to these machines, you could commute with this engine, not mix oil, outrun most cages upto about 90 MPH and still have a wheelie maniac. IMO this is the best set up for a weekend worriar/Commuter and no-one, I repeat no-one will have a bike like yours at the next stoplight that you pull up to. Once aain just what I think, but hey if the shoe fits...
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 12:17 PM

Re: Super motard

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
I wager that down a twistie road, a sportbike will have a tough time keeping up with these lunatic bikes

Are you f'ing kidding me?

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
stock from showroom

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products...6/Default.aspx

these are fun!! right off the showroom floor
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 02:28 PM

In my day they called it a T/S400, only the suspension sucked! I think the T/S stood for trail/street. I loved mine. think I had about 50,000 miles on it.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Best ET 7.77 @ 186mph

Send a message via Yahoo to DreamRyder
Re: Re: Super motard

Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
Are you f'ing kidding me?
I would have thought the same thing till I witnessed KTM's at Deals Gap this weekend .. the one fella in our group on a KTM was riding the tail of a fella on a 954 that is kick ass fast through there.... I think if the fella on the KTM knew the road as well as the 954 he'd had no problem out runnin him through there.... those things are killer...

not for me but sure awesome to watch... if they post up any video I'll throw up a link for ya'll to see...

E.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

If it's too good to be true... then you must be Dreaming.

ONLY FEMALE WORLD WIDE to run in the 7's with a Prostreet Bike (no bar, slider, 2step, or slicks)

Sponsored by: RCC Turbo, Bellman Oil, Syed Leathers, Schnitz Racing, Boost by Smith, Cycle-Tek, Tiger Racing, Machine Works Racing, R&R Trailers by RandPCarriages.com, Mirror Look Customs, Rev'd Up Motorsports, and ofcourse SportBike World !
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-08-2005, 07:12 AM

On a tight track or a tight road, a Motard will run away from a sportbike...
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-23-2006, 08:19 PM

i dont know if this has been asked...but waht kind of stuff do i have to go through to take say... the 450 or 560 SMR and make it streetable. all i need is what, working brake light, head light and thats it right? any kind of reprocussions for driving it at sustained speeds and stuff? cooling problems? this is a new idea for me, so any help would be appreciated.
-rOOster-
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 03:13 AM

Hey Man

I know this is an old post, but the info here might still be relevant.

A few years ago I had a KX500 on the road in Scotland.
I did go over the top as far as making it like a normal road bike ie: indicators alloy wheels, idiot lights and a colour television on the instument console.

Go to www.craighood.co.uk for loads of info, magazine articles, photos of the bike.

I don't know of any changes in the law up to now, but around 1994 it was very easy to make a motocrosser 100% street legal.
All you really needed were trail tyres, nothing else.
You didn't even need lights, a speedo or a reflector, as long as the bike was driven during daylight hours.
The noise level of the exhuast might come into it depending on the mot station.
I also went over the top trying to quieten down the exhuast.
To get mine on the road (before I customised it), I had to :
Take it to the main police station to get the frame and engine numbers checked for theft.
Get it mot'd, road tyres and a plastic guard over the front sprocket (about 5)
Then register it (I ended up with a Q plate), and insure it (had to phone around a bit to get it insured).
I would recommend it if you want a bit of fun and thrills, but my bike in particular was not very practical.
I got roughly 20 miles per gallon and the magneto coils kept breaking sometimes leaving me stuck.
Rebuilding the heads regularly is only done when using the bike in competition as you want the engine in a high state of tune.
I've never touched the barrel on mine.
I enjoyed every minute driving mine mostly on one wheel till I got caught wheelying at around 70mph in a 30 zone (no traffic or people about).
Banned for dangerous driving and ordered to resit every test I had passed before.
I had to resit my car test and since then I haven't resat my bike test as it costs a fortune.

Cheers Man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (177.8 KB, 56 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode