Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions? - Page 3 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer
A lady at KTM says that they won't warranty any bike used as a supermotard which doesn't have a cush drive. So yes you need it. To me a two stroke would not be worth the hassle with premixing and frequent top end rebuilds. My top choice now would be either the 250 or 400 four stroke yammies.

I hate to say this but unless you are just in love with the idea of a motard a used RZ350 is just as good has more comfortable ergos and better range. And it's cheaper too.
Cushdrive subject aside....I can deal with premixing fuel, and top end rebuilts are no big deal (depending on how frequent .....would every 4-5K miles be a stretch??)

I really don't see how an RZ could make up for a SuperM. Other than the fact that they are two stroke, they don't have near the allure and uniqueness. Plus it wouldn't handle anywhere near as well (An R6 would have trouble keeping up with a well set up SM in tight twisties). RZ's look pretty dated these days, and finding one that hasn't been raced to death is getting difficult. I do like RZ's and other vintage 2 stroke sportbikes, and would like to own one at some point in my lifetime before it becomes really hard to find nice examples, but they definitely couldn't fill in for a SM (for me at least).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 02:39 PM

Basically it's as simple as this RZ = wheelie madness....
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer
Basically it's as simple as this RZ = wheelie madness....
I've ridden RZ's (350's at least, I've heard from older friends that the 500's weren't all that good) and YES, they definitely are wheelie machines. I've also ridden CR 500's, and they are simply incredible, and I can only imagine one with a wide, sticky road tire on it.

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 09:34 PM

Here's Hondas latest toe in the water, unveiled in Japan but not for production (yet ?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01685140.jpg (49.5 KB, 227 views)
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 01:31 AM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
Here's Hondas latest toe in the water, unveiled in Japan but not for production (yet ?).

I love that! Any specs on it yet?
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Squidwannabe

I love that! Any specs on it yet?
Sorry chum, it's just a styling exercise that Honda have done to show what can be done with stock parts.
As if thousands of people don't know this already !!
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:02 AM
Retired Moderator

Beautiful Honda!

That Honda looks the part!
SMs are very popular in Greece lately and there is a championship which has become really exciting! There are 3 classes (light, normal and racing) and the guys are really good. In November we'll have the last race of this years European Championship taking place near Athens and I won't miss it for anything.
There are many kinds of bikes competing, but the best ones are VOR, KTM,Kramit,Husqvarna,Husaberg, Yamaha YZFs and the occasioanal CR!
Last Sunday we were out on the mountain with 3 friends on our bikes ( CBR900R, CBR929RR Hornet 600 and my ZR7), racing each other when this KTM640 SM comes going sideways in all bends! The roads are quite slippery in Greece and this part of the mountain has bends of 60-150 km/h, so this guy was in his element. Our top guy who has lots of experience and also has raced quite a bit, went after him and passed him only to be left behind after 3 or 4 turns. The KTM guy was just playing with us while practicing for the next race
In my opinion the best looking SM is the VOR! (the company that took over the Vertemmati).
Here it is!! What do you guys think?
Aris

PS a good link is http://www.e-supermoto.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vor_sm.jpg (45.1 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by ariszr7; 10-25-2001 at 04:07 AM.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:08 AM

Re: Beautiful Honda!

Quote:
Originally posted by ariszr7

In my opinion the best looking SM is the VOR! (thel company that took over the Vertemmati).
Here it is!! What do you guys think?
I've never heard of VOR aris, but it looks the absolute dogs bollocks.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 07:15 AM

I just read an article (Sportrider I think) on SM's where they even raced one. Try to find it, it covered all the basics , even suspension set up. they raced a suki, 4 stroke. It sounds like a HUGE amount of fun.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 08:51 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer
I just read an article (Sportrider I think) on SM's where they even raced one. Try to find it, it covered all the basics , even suspension set up. they raced a suki, 4 stroke. It sounds like a HUGE amount of fun.
I'm pretty sure they used a Yamaha, either a WR400/426 or YZ400/426F, but regardless, it was a very good article.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode