Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions? - Page 2 - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 02:58 AM
ronnyzx6r

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

So, Ronny, what makes a bike a "true" supermotard?

Well *Pete* a true SM has spoked wheels, not cast alum wheels. Alum wheels will not hold up in large jumps. A *true* SM has more ground clearance (11-12 inches) than a Duke II (5-6 inches travel
front and rear) and the suspension is softer on a *True* SM. The Duke has stiff suspension and is more street oriented. It would be better suited for the track if you were to ride it like a sportbike.
The Duke I would be a good example of what a *True* Sm is.

Also if you'll Notice that KTM has released a KTM LC640 SuperMoto. It is a *True* SM
The SM also has a leading axle and a longer wheelbase. If you wan't to slide it's easier to control on the SM. It's would also be better Off Road.

Anything else Pete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:14 AM
Pete

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnyzx6r

Anything else Pete?
Nope. My question was an honest one, as I had yet to hear what makes a bike a true supermotard. Your answer sounds quite accurate based on what little supermotard racing I have seen.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:14 AM

That was impressive Ronny.

For a minute there, I thought you were just being a smart ass!

Thanks for the info.

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 03:17 AM
ronnyzx6r

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogue_Biker
That was impressive Ronny.

For a minute there, I thought you were just being a smart ass!

Thanks for the info.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 04:14 AM

French lesson

O.K. Ronny, I guess that the Duke is built for road use and yes, cast wheels aren't durable if you're going to off road the thing. But I would think you'd agree that like 4x4 type vehicles, not many would comtimplate taking their S/M's off road.

A true S/M is a moto-cross bike fitted with road wheels (spoked) which came about by mad Frenchmen deciding to race the bastardized machines around a road and loose surfaced circuit.
This progressed into a all-commers event called "The Golden Handlebars" which in it's early days was won by no other than Eddie Lawson on a CR500 Honda.

The thrill of these bikes is being able to carve through canyon type roads at crazy angles of lean and embarrassing sportbike riders and the factories are supplying this demand. Have you noticed that the best ones come from the European manufacturers. They have also given what owners have asked for in the way of some of the things you've mentioned.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 05:06 AM
ronnyzx6r

Re: French lesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
O.K. Ronny, I guess that the Duke is built for road use and yes, cast wheels aren't durable if you're going to off road the thing. But I would think you'd agree that like 4x4 type vehicles, not many would comtimplate taking their S/M's off road.

A true S/M is a moto-cross bike fitted with road wheels (spoked) which came about by mad Frenchmen deciding to race the bastardized machines around a road and loose surfaced circuit.
This progressed into a all-commers event called "The Golden Handlebars" which in it's early days was won by no other than Eddie Lawson on a CR500 Honda.

The thrill of these bikes is being able to carve through canyon type roads at crazy angles of lean and embarrassing sportbike riders and the factories are supplying this demand. Have you noticed that the best ones come from the European manufacturers. They have also given what owners have asked for in the way of some of the things you've mentioned.
yeah, I hear ya. I don't see many of those BMW X5's going off road.

To be perfectly honest with you, If I was going to build an SM I'd use sportbike wheels off a CBR or a Katana or something.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 05:30 AM

I can remember about 20 years ago in Santa Barbara, some guy had fitted a Suzuki RM-360 (?) with road tires and played with the suspension. He absolutely killed all the cafe bikes that prowled the San Marcos Pass. He smoked me with ease on my RD-350, but then I doubt I was THAT quick anyway.

I'm planning on fitting up a set of road wheels for my DRZ-400 this winter and figuring out how to adjust the suspension. Mine is an S model, so there's a little less travel than the true off-road variants.

Locally, there's a lot of guys playing with XR-400's and 650's. It is a cheap alternative and you minimize the draconian result of triple-digit citations The other nice thing, is that if you need to bonzai over a curb to avoid a cage, it's pretty easy vs. sportbike.

When I get my DRZ done, I'll post a pix. Should be fun!

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 08:42 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe
The other nice thing, is that if you need to bonzai over a curb to avoid a cage, it's pretty easy vs. sportbike.

Or if you *wanted* to bonzai over a curb just for the fun of it!
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Or if you *wanted* to bonzai over a curb just for the fun of it!
Touche'

Supermotard=Hoolligan=Fun

I've also heard that some guys like to use old VW bugs as either berms or jumping ramps

Our greatest challenge in life is living up to our own potential.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Supermotard instead of a Sportbike? Opinions?

Quote:
Originally posted by ronnyzx6r

Can you register a Honda CR up there for the street? The ASM supermotard class was won buy a guy on a CR250 this year. Don't get a 500. They are too much bike.
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but around here there's a loophole in our law's which let you sneak a dirtbike onto the street. I have a fair bit of riding experience on CR 500's, both in the dirt and on the ice, and they definitely can be a handful, but can you ever really have too much bike? Seriously though, if I do decide to go supermotard I want to go big bore two-stroke, just for the sheer hooligan madness of it all.

Quote:
[i]
The Yammi's are the popular item. Me? I like the KTM 520 EXC.
There is also quite a few guys on STOCK dirt bikes, Like DR400's, they do ok.

The yammi has a top speed of around 170 km/h so does the DRZ400.
Is there a KTM dealer in Ottawa? KTM allows test rides, I highly recomend a ride on a Duke or a 640 SM. Their top speed is about 180 km/h.
Actually a friend of mine runs a bike shop, and is the only KTM dealer for a good few miles around here. I've haven't talked much to him this summer, and I've never talk to him about supermotards. I absolutely love KTM's, but it's really hard to find a good used one around here and their prices new are substantially higher compared most other manufactures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode