What Is It? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

What Is It?

Hey all,

What the hell is a Supermotard?

First you take a little motocross, a smattering of flatrack, grab a handful of road racing, dump it all into a circus tent, mix it up, add some big balls (supplied by the rider), and that is SuperMotard!

For even more fun, slap on some lights, a plate, and take it to the street

This is a sport that originated in Europe and is gaining rapid popularity in the States. If you havenít watched it, you need to!

I am currently working on a SuperMotard and these are the specs:

2000 KX500
Suspension lowered 1Ē front and rear
Sun Rims with Talon Spokes. 19Ē front/17Ē rear (soon to change to 17Ē front)
320mm Front Disc with brembo twin piston caliper
Dunlop K591ís front and rear (will change to Pilot Race when I mount the 17Ē front)

Although itís not yet street legal, there are a few companies that make lighting kits that are pretty easy to mount.

This bike will pull it up in 5th gear on the street. Short shifting is the order of the day. This bike will kick the shit out of any sportbike in the tight, twistie stuff, but suffers on the top end (100-110mph).

By the way, itís for sale! The KX500 is a little too much for me, and I plan on building a YZ426 this winter.

This is an inexpensive racing series to get into thatís an absolute kick in the ass!

If you want more information, please ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to lucifer Send a message via Yahoo to lucifer
We'll talk about it this weekend. I too am looking for a super retard. I talked to a lady at the KTM dealer about converting one of the enduros and she said it was a no go b/c without a cush drive the street grip tires will lay waste to the transmission. This sucks b/c all of their ready made ones have crap like electric starters which i just don't need.

BTW it actually started here in the US but it fizzled out and was adopted by the french who have kept it alive. (Geez youd think a guy your age would know this). I remember the original superbikers series and I was only 8 years old when it was on.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:22 AM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by lucifer
BTW it actually started here in the US
That is debatable, because at the time, one side of the world didn't know what the other side was doing (with respect to the sport). It matters not.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to RCjohn
Quote:
BTW it actually started here in the US but it fizzled out and was adopted by the french who have kept it alive. (Geez youd think a guy your age would know this). I remember the original superbikers series and I was only 8 years old when it was on.
I remember that series. It was sort of like IROC but for motorcycles. The best of the different types of riding got to mix it up all on the same track.

John

The sheep need love too but they lie.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete

That is debatable, because at the time, one side of the world didn't know what the other side was doing (with respect to the sport). It matters not.
LAP-DOG

John

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 12:33 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally posted by RCjohn

LAP-DOG

John, the least you could do is come up with your own material, instead of using the stuff I hit you with 5 years ago.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 12:38 PM
Squidwannabe

Quote:

John, the least you could do is come up with your own material, instead of using the stuff I hit you with 5 years ago.
Ya John, so un-witty
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 04:29 PM
Resident Smartass

Quote:
We'll talk about it this weekend. I too am looking for a super retard. I talked to a lady at the KTM dealer about converting one of the enduros and she said it was a no go b/c without a cush drive the street grip tires will lay waste to the transmission.
I don't think most home built motards use a cush drive. The common practice is to lace 17" rims to stock MX hubs.

Suck mean people!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 05:23 PM

Quote:

It improves with age.

Hey, you didn't know me 5 years ago.

John

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2001, 06:27 PM
Squidwannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan

I don't think most home built motards use a cush drive. The common practice is to lace 17" rims to stock MX hubs.
Unless you retain the stock hubs (like on an XR or KLR). Don't Talon hubs have a cush drive ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode