Virgin Forum - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Virgin Forum

Wow, I sign up on SBW only two days ago and I get to pop the cherry on a new forum

Well, since I have the soap box, I would just like to say that I was in England 2 weeks ago and loved it. Really nice winding roads and really good weather. There is an amazing amount of motorcyclists on the roads, much more than I would see on an average day in S. Florida..even with our biking weather. Almost all the riders I saw wear full leather gear, which was a bit odd to see, again coming from a warm weather climate.

I visited a few bike dealers and the whole attitude surrounding the dealers (garages) was very positive. Friendly, helpful staff and a selection of bikes we never see in our showrooms. Almost half the sales floor was stocked with accessories and clothing/helmets, good stuff too, not just a few dusty bottles of BelRay oil and some cheesy hand grips . When was the last time you saw a motorcycle dealership that had fitting rooms, full length mirrors and shoe measuring devices?. It was all very impressive.

Some of their bike prices may seem high, but the prices listed on the bikes, and in the ads we see in the brit bike mags are out-the-door prices, no sneaky dealer prep and other BS. Most of the prices on bikes there are very close to what we would pay in the US (list prices), with the exception of my bike. They sell brand new RSV Milles for $3,000 less than what we pay . Their bike prices include 3 years warranty and in some cases roadside service/towing . They also have a demo bike for just about every model they sell!.

Well that was my European (England really) "biking" experience. Looking forward to hearing from any European riders out there that can expand a bit on the biking scene there.

Take care,
Gregory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 06:41 AM
Founder

Re: Virgin Forum

Quote:
Originally posted by redtwin
They also have a demo bike for just about every model they sell!.
WOW!

Robert Basil
SportbikeWorld.com Founder
PocketbikePlanet.com Founder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:27 AM

So how did your day go after you woke up?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdman
So how did your day go after you woke up?
You don't believe redtwin ? Well he isn't bullshitting. I can confirm that a high percentage of dealers in the U.K. do offer all that he said. We're not so fortunate here in Northern Ireland as being a small place there isn't many big shops. But as the last few years have been hard on the official importers due to other firms bringing in paralell & grey imports which can save you alot of money, the off. dealers have improved their service to the paying punter. they also know that when someone comes in to spend good money on the latest bike they want new kit to match. Hence the clothing and accessory end of the market. Britian is a small country with a large population which means shops have to compete for business. And good service is good business. So birdman, come on over & see for yourself. And redman, if your ever over again, come over to N.I. and see the twisties that we have (plus some pure road racing that will make your eyes pop), I'll even put you up.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 11:58 AM

Oh I believe him. It's just that it's a dream for us on this side of the pond.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 12:04 PM

Thumbs up

Well O.K. you can come and stay too !!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Uk

Hey smeghead, thanks for the invite, I really appreciate that. The closest I got to Ireland was sticking my hand in the Irish Sea while at Blackpool 8-).

The whole motorcycle culture in England is much more accomodating than in the US. When you consider the size of the country compared to the US and then look at their bike mags compared to ours. They seem to have far more dealers and services. And they are not greasy little shops, well not the ones I visited. Look at their race attendance compared to ours. Granted being a smaller country means less travel to get to them but I think this past WSB race had well over 100,000 people!!.

There are a some US dealers that do allow demo rides. The place where I bought my Mille gave test rides and if it were not for that impressive test ride I may not have bought it. I asked the salesman how far I could go and he said " Give it a good workout, take it on the highway and check out the top end and try a few on-ramps to check the cornering, if we don't see you in an hour, then we will know you bought it (as in purchased) and we will send you the bill".. Still can't get their 3 year warranty and roadside service though.

Take care,
Gregory

p.s "punter" as smeg mentioned means a consumer/buyer in case anyone was wondering
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2001, 11:02 AM

Just came back from England myself...

I'll echo everything Red Twin said. We had 14 sunny days out of 16, hows that for good luck. Great beer and better riding. I'll add that track day riders over there are quite mad! I've never seen that many nice bikes thrown into gravel as I did in the 3 track days I had. Another note is the fact you can rent any number of bikes for track days from a couple of different companys. Haven't found that in the states yet other than riding Freddie's or Keith's bikes. You can rent bikes from VTR1000s to full blown 2000 TZ 250s. I ended up renting very well setup R6s. Very pleased with the experience, only wish more places had rentals.

Red Twin mentioned WSB at Brands. Great racing, parking a freakin nightmare and useless lines for everything. Glad I did it for the experience, never do it again. Brands Hatch couldn't organize a childs birthday party. They need to take lessons from Laguna Seca.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 11:16 AM

Re: Just came back from England myself...

Quote:
Originally posted by kneedrag

Red Twin mentioned WSB at Brands. Great racing, parking a freakin nightmare and useless lines for everything. Glad I did it for the experience, never do it again. Brands Hatch couldn't organize a childs birthday party. They need to take lessons from Laguna Seca.
There are some things we need to work on !!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 11:12 PM

Talking

Woooo!

Living in England I have to say that you guys suprise me. England is great for biking, but always figured that America would be pretty cool too, what with the mountainous roads and the great weather. We do suffer from lengthly periods of bad weather at times, and as you know, it always rains when you want a scratch.

Police can be a bit over the top here though, esecially to the kids on their 125's. IT seems that if you have a bigger bike and te full gear to go with it then they will leave you alone, if you have an old TZR 125 and a are wearing jeans and a paddock jacket then you're guarenteed to get pulled and told off for looking at them in a funny way!

So, England (from an Englisgmans point of view).......

Good roads, crap police
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode