Sportbike World banner

Cheap Tourer

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Kroon12 
#1 ·
Promised a friend I'd find him a bike, or could at least recommend one.

He's looking for something a. Affordable ('00-'05) b. Comfortable 2 up c. Fun to ride.

They are both tall so seat height is not an issue. And this would be his second bike

Anyone got recommendations? Or would just about anything with a banana seat work?

#3 ·
LadyBandit12S said:
I got mine for 2,500$ and LOVE it, yes, i can't say that enough. I am 5'9 no comment on weight cause i could really use more of it. It's even comfortable for me to give rides on. NO PUNS there!
Good luck to them.
Bandit was the first bike that came to my mind.

#4 ·
Hey Vash, how's it going bud?

Depends on what type of touring they want to do. If you are talking a sport touring bike, I'd throw the FJR 1300 into the mix. A little sportier than that would be the FZ1. It's loosly based on the R1 engine, with much better ergos and a street friendly tune.

Do you know what kinds of riding they are interested in? Long straight runs... winding roads... huge open sweepers.... combinations?

Oh... and sorry for the brand loyalty on the recommendations... but when all I see when I walk in the garage is Yamaha... it's hard to remember the others :)

Also: a bunch of us are hitting VIR North Course in either March or April (probably other course through the year). You game? Shoot me a PM.

#6 ·
DanQ said:
Hey Vash, how's it going bud?

Depends on what type of touring they want to do. If you are talking a sport touring bike, I'd throw the FJR 1300 into the mix. A little sportier than that would be the FZ1. It's loosly based on the R1 engine, with much better ergos and a street friendly tune.

Do you know what kinds of riding they are interested in? Long straight runs... winding roads... huge open sweepers.... combinations?

Oh... and sorry for the brand loyalty on the recommendations... but when all I see when I walk in the garage is Yamaha... it's hard to remember the others :)

Also: a bunch of us are hitting VIR North Course in either March or April (probably other course through the year). You game? Shoot me a PM.
Hells yea I'm game! Do you have any idea what happened to Dad? He is supposed to be an instructor at VIR, but I havent seen him post here in ages. Should be a blast either way!

On touring bike: There arent that many curves around here, unless you go out to look for them, which I'm not so sure they will. However, I feel that if they asked me to find a bike, they want something with some sporting potential. The guy is a pretty green rider, but has one season under his belt already. I'm pretty sure he'll be riding by himself a great deal, maybe use it for primary during the summer months. However the girl likes to jump on for road trips.
I'm pretty sure they will be buying used, so I'm trying to get several models that will fit the bill, so there is more selection when looking at the ads.

#7 ·
Vash said:
Hells yea I'm game! Do you have any idea what happened to Dad? He is supposed to be an instructor at VIR, but I havent seen him post here in ages. Should be a blast either way!

On touring bike: There arent that many curves around here, unless you go out to look for them, which I'm not so sure they will. However, I feel that if they asked me to find a bike, they want something with some sporting potential. The guy is a pretty green rider, but has one season under his belt already. I'm pretty sure he'll be riding by himself a great deal, maybe use it for primary during the summer months. However the girl likes to jump on for road trips.
I'm pretty sure they will be buying used, so I'm trying to get several models that will fit the bill, so there is more selection when looking at the ads.
Doesn't appear that Dad has posted in a long time. I just took Cornerspeed, and don't recall anyone named Mark, but then again, I barely remembered my name after that class. Cornerspeed is AWESOME! I'll definitely let you know the dates we are going. Should be at least 4 or 5 for the trackdays, and one for the class.

I'd see what the FJR can be found for. It's big and comfortable, and dresses out nicely. And it will still do two up in moderate corners pretty well. Of course, there's my standard disclaimer: I'm a Yamaha guy, and there are equivalents available by the other makers (I just don't pay them any attention :D )

Found this with google... I'm pretty impressed specifications

Hope this is some help.

#8 ·
If you're looking for a really cheap, easy to find, fairly quick, and decent handling sport tourer, what about the original Kawasaki Concours? (1000cc) Not sure what kinda budget your buddy is on, but that has got to be the cheapest sport tourer you can find. I've seen pretty nice ones for $3000 and less.

#9 ·
Your best bang for the buck on sport tourer is the Kaw concour's 1000. Have been around forever with a lot of parts availability and aftermarket support.
Another bargain to be had is the triumph trophy. Was made up till 03. They are selling for dirt cheap now and are a great bike if you can get past the headlights.
For a more sporty tourer you cant go wront with the sprint st. Stay with the 02-04 models since the motor and trans were upgraded on these models. I absolutely love mine.
If you want a little less wind protection you cant beat the Bandit 12S

#11 ·
Vash, FYI, the October issue of rider has a review of the '08 Concours, which has been redesigned with the ZX-14 basis.

#12 ·
Just sent the guy links to some '99-'01 concours, all under $3500. Thanks peeps!

#13 ·
Trouble is most tourers will be owned by eldery old gentlemen who look after their bikes, so 2nd hand values remain high. Pan's & VFR's have good engines so also hold their value. I think the Trex FX range make nice tourers - I tour on mine. Solid kit and fun to ride - cheap tourers tend to be dull as dishwater in the handling department. As a beginner he might find straight bars and bar ends more user friendly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.