Am I the only... - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2002, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Am I the only...

...rider in this flat plains North Dakota? I know there's more riders out there because I see you riding around all the time. Roll Call! You know who you are.

I have been doing some riding this summer throughout North Dakota looking and searching for that ever elusive twisty road. After one set of squared rear tire, I have found two. The good news is there really is twisty roads up here. The bad news is you have to travel about an hour to get there, at least for me anyway. I'm sure there are more, I just haven't found them yet. The two twisty roads that I want to tell you about is about the only ones that Iíve found. The first one is located halfway between Minot and Bismarck. The other one is located in turtle mountain near
Bottineau.

(The first one: Route 1804)
If you're from Bismarck area you know the road I'm talking about. That's route 1804, just a few miles down from town of Washburn. Not a bad road. Nice winding road along the Missouri river. Hardly any cars travel through this road. The one's I've seen are mostly Harley's but occasionally I do pass few sport bikes on this road. Very nice scenic ride, from the road looking down at the river. Some hills and mostly wide sweeper type of turns. Although the roads are not very challenging, it's a definite change from straight boring rides. You actually get to wear the portion of the chicken strip just pass the center of the tire. LOL. The speed limit is 65 MPH on most parts but you can easily do about 80 around the turns. The ride is about 30 miles long, back way to Bismarck. This road, I give 1 up

(The second one: Lake Road) in Bottineau, near Canada is really challenging.
It's a brand new paved road with very smooth surface. Only saw few cars on this road after 8 trips back and forth. The road is about 13-14 miles long and from the Turtle mountain, goes all the way down to the town of Bottineau. The road contains about 35-40 turns. Some 90 degree turns. This road also have some cork screws! Once you ride down to Bottineau at the end of the road, there's a Chinese Restaurant. Grab a bite to eat, than head back up to the mountain. At the end of the road at the top, thereís a convenient store. Park the bike, buy something cold to drink and relax at the parking lot. Maybe talk about the last turn you almost ran wide. Although it takes about an hour to get there, it's a worth a trip. This road I give 2 up

Anyway. I thought I share my favorite two places to ride (so far) until I find some more. This is where all you other North Dakota riders come in. Where is your favorite road(s)?

It snowed this morning but Iím hoping to get a few more rides in before the bike goes back in for winter storage. Next week the weather suppose to be in the 60s. That's North Dakota for ya. I'm cutting my grass one day and next, it snows.

Ride safe.

"It's not a Hobby. It's a lifestyle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 09:50 AM

It seems theres two of us in ND. I will have to try out the two roads you mentioned. I know of another one by Valley City. I dont know the number of it but it is the scenic route from Valley City south to highway 46. About 18 miles of nice scenery and curves.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 10:15 PM

<< north dakota, still pretty new dont think im ready for any extreme shit, but ya i know the road past bismarck your talkn about thats a nice area to ride usually head up that way after jumpn off river road, drop me an email [email protected], we gotta get more locals hooked up onto a forum seems like there will be alot of bikes this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode