insurance rates for new rider in ontario (toronto) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

insurance rates for new rider in ontario (toronto)

hello =)

I will be starting my biking come next season so im just collecting some information to help me see things clear.

By the next season i will be 21, i live in toronto (downtown), i've never owned a bike before, therefore no prior insurance history(however i did get one speeding ticket back in about 2-3 years ago).

So i would like to buy my first bike while i still have my M1 to learn on, ofcorse i gotto get it insured and all, thought i plan to take my M2 within a few months after i get my M1.

I am planning to get a suzuki GS500-F (2000 ish i guess).

SO! with the given backgroudn what do you guys think how much would my insurance be? Im not looking for on-the-dot answers, just a general idea. Second question, what happens once i get my M2? Will it decrease? My third question, so insurance HAS to be made for 12 months no matter what guys? Any ways around that, i mean from a rider's point of view it is completley pointless paying for insurance during the winter

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 AM

Sorry Man, there's no way around insuring your bike for twelve months.

Check the two threads right below this one for a lot more info on insurance in On, and be thankful that you don't live in Quebec where insureance isn't all that bad, but you have to pay a small fortune in licensing fees.

Good luck.

Pete

98 600/750 Gix
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2006, 12:41 PM

Sorry, for while I am a fellow Cdn., here in B.C. it is entirely different for the Govt owns the insurance. Fortunately one can obtain insurance for as short as 3 months though I purchase basically 7 to 8 months.

No idea of what you are up against in Ontario though know it is pretty costly. Sorry but that is the info I have been receiving for some yrs PLUS some will NOT insure m/cs PERIOD for some also have main firms in Ontario so the same goes for other Provinces such as Alberta & such.

Unfortunately you are paying through the nose because you are not 25 or 26 yrs of age & yes even in B.C. those 25 or younger also pay high compared to those over & especially old sods like myself like 65 yrs of age & older.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.

Last edited by Smitty; 08-01-2006 at 12:43 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Yap, generally if you are not 25 or older, insurance is quite expensive. I remember when I was age 16 to 24, I was paying well over $2500 CAD in Ontario.

I owned a Kawi EX500 and then Kawi Ninja 750 back then. Had to insure for full year, they don't give you much at all if you cancel after fall season.

YRD
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 AM

Holy Dead Thread, Batman!

(Check the date of the last post in the thread.)

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 AM

you should go on over to gtamotorcycle.com to get fairtly acurate "estimates" but your best bet is to call a broker, and call ALOT of them because then you have a better chance at a lower rate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 09:37 AM

thanks for the info guys. it'll really help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode