Welp, Mr. winter drop in early this year - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Angry Welp, Mr. winter drop in early this year

There goes my riding season.. my sister woke me up this morning at 8am saying "You gota see this".. I walk to the window, and there's 2 inches of snow outside.. my bike looks like one of those ice carvings done by professionals.. bah!

Time to go brush off the snow and take it in for the season

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:28 AM

I almost feel your pain brotha. I'm still in Washington State waiting for the weather to get half way decent, then I'm off to SoCal. Ahhh yes, SoCal, where the riding never stops.

-jon
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 03:45 PM

Yeah I heard you guys got snow over there

~mike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2002, 09:59 AM

Yes winter sucks but

I don't feel too bad for you, I know the snow only lasted a day. When winter hits here, the snow will stay (so far, so good though). The biggest problem is the gravel left behind by the sanding trucks. And of course the fun of riding a sportbike on frozen rubber adds a whole new dimention to the experience.

I'm seriously considering setting up a dirtbike to race on the ice. Alot of people are doing that and it looks like a blast.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 09:59 PM

Re: Yes winter sucks but

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer
I don't feel too bad for you, I know the snow only lasted a day. When winter hits here, the snow will stay (so far, so good though).
Damn, me and my big mouth. There's been snow on the ground here now for 3 days, with no warming in sight. I haven't put the bike away yet 'cause I'm still hoping for some nice riding weather. Last Wedn. it was beautiful out, but I didn't go for a ride because "I was so busy". What a dumb reason. I still gotta prep the bike for winter, I don't know about the antifreeze level, and it's already hit -10 this week.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Yes winter sucks but

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgixer

Damn, me and my big mouth. There's been snow on the ground here now for 3 days, with no warming in sight. I haven't put the bike away yet 'cause I'm still hoping for some nice riding weather. Last Wedn. it was beautiful out, but I didn't go for a ride because "I was so busy". What a dumb reason. I still gotta prep the bike for winter, I don't know about the antifreeze level, and it's already hit -10 this week.
Yep, it's -11 as we speak.. my bike's parked in the garage.. What exactly do you do to prep the winter? I have people telling me to just throw a tarp over it, remove the battery, and leave a full tank of gas..

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:12 PM

fall prep

I like to have the bike cleaned and waxed ( I still haven't got all the bugs off yet), the oil and filter changed, and fuel stabilizer in the tank. Oh ya, taking the battery out is a good idea, I'll have to do that sometimes. In addition, I have no idea what temp the antifreeze is rated to, especially since I added water to it last summer. In Edmonton it's gotta be rated to -40, just to be safe.

Basically, if we get a couple nice days in Feb, I want to be ready to ride.

The older I get,
The better I was.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 10:24 AM

its been a nice September and most of October(more sun,less rain) here.There`s not even snow on the local mountians,yet.But with the daytime temps running about 13,it really cuts into any riding time .
Apparently,were coming into a "El Nino" year which will make commuting easier this winter.

I AM CANADIAN
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:53 PM

oldgixer & other people from Cowtown--

---or the Goldon kids town. Why not write a letter to Johnny Schnook to see about the warm spells. Sorry Edmontonians this will not help you, but could be the answer those in Cowtown. LOL
Agree with all of you that it is a mite on the cold side for any 2.5 to 3 hr runs at speeds in 120 to 200KPH.
Was out yesterday & it was sunny only around -0 a hair, on my turn back I actually stopped to try & soak in some sun, but really no warmth. Made it back to the gym for a cuppa & found out it was just up to around 15 & that simply is not warm still this Autumn has been simply wonderful riding weather & for once the trees have beautiful colour rather then leaves falling off when still green---not Ontario colours, but still beautiful for B.C.
No snow mind you nor any rain (man this has been a dry yr since lst of July) so think I will cut my runs to less speed & shorter runs like one hr as max.
Nothing felt COLD, but close & I did not feel as flexible on the 929.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode