Car Certification - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Car Certification

I know this isn't motorcycle related but i had nobody else to ask but you guys. i hope an admin understands and doesn't remove this post.

anyway, i'm about to buy my first car (need something to drive for the winter). now it's certified, but what does that mean? mechanically strong? probably won't break down for a while? it also has emissions checked.

lastly, how often do i have to get the emissions checked. and do i only have to certify it when i sell it? or every year?
i live in ontario canada.

thanks a whole bunch guys.
later

My bike won't start, i'm sad :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 06:45 AM

If your car is certified, it only means that your car is 'road worthy' (ask the government what they mean by that) at the time of inspection. It's not a guarantee that your car won't self-destruct or break down later on.

As for the emissions test, I believe it is every two years. You could call up the ministry of transportation and I'm sure they'd tell you, or you could visit their website: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

the one thing i'm uncertain of is, if i buy used. and they say the car is certified, does it have to be certified again before being put into my name? not sure how that works. or will it just say certified this year on the ownership, and that means it's certified when it's put into my name?

My bike won't start, i'm sad :(

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hysyde
A "certification" or "safety check" is only good for about 30 days I think. Anytime a car changes ownership (unless maybe if it's within the 30 day period of the last safety) it needs a new "safety check".

So if you a buy a car that was "certified" within the 30 days, it does not need to be checked again. You'll need the actual piece of paper when you go to get the ownership changed though.

Last edited by Hysyde; 10-09-2002 at 01:42 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:50 PM

You do not need a certified car when buying.

You will find thousands of 'used' cars in your area sold privately & probably a better buy then at a car shop. Said certification is just a word & really means nothing like the car is safe, sound, long lasting, etc.
Then all you do is get it licensed, insured, license plate, etc. I take it you have a car drivers license & if not you will need to apply for it & go through written & physical test.
You have been living in a city full of bureaucrates & their ways of thinking not to mention a maze of red tape of which most is sensless & a waste of tax payers dollars.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 01:54 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hysyde
Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
You do not need a certified car when buying.
No, but in Ontario a car must be cerified before it can be licensed. It can be put in your name without certification, but it will be listed as "unfit", and illegal to drive.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 03:05 PM

The safety standards certificate is valid for 36 days from the time of issue. Hysyde is also correct - you must have a valid certificate if you want to register your newly bought used vehicle.

Don't forget that you also need proof of insurance when you register your vehicle, and you will be required to pay sales tax upon registering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode