Ontario insurance prices - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Ontario insurance prices

hey all,
what am i looking at paying for insurance on a new 600 sportbike? im 24 with a clean driving record and will definitely take a riding course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 03:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Hysyde
Hmmmmm. It's hard to say. It seems every effing company is raising their rates, especially on bikes. My old company (Primmum) just tried to double my rate on my old 600. When I got a quote from them in the spring for a new R1 they said something like $1200. I called a few weeks ago since I was looking at new bikes, the quoted me at over $4000! I haven't found another company yet, but I hear State Farm are pretty good, or tryridersplus.

BTW I'm 25, with a record that's relatively clean (most stuff is off my record now), and I've had my M2 for 3 years. I never took a safety course.

Just taking a guess, I would say with comprehensive (whcih you'll need if you finance) you'd probably be looking at close to $2000. State Farm or Ridersplus don't have instant online quotes, but Primmum does, although I'd say they'd likely be the most costly from what I've seen.

http://brouter.primmum.com/BrandRouter.jsp
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:50 PM

I am insured this year with Primmum for $2500 for full coverage on a 2002 R6. I am 21 with only a 10 over on my record (for now)
and I have had my M2 for almost 3 years. I have heard that Primmum is pretty good but seeing as Hysyde had bad luck with them I don't know anymore .. I guess there is too many things to consider when asking a question like this.
I am going to be paying a very very high price once I get my liscence back ...
I just remembered that my buddy got insured for around $850 basic coverage on a 2000 GSXR 600 and it is his first street bike, so just call around for free quotes.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:05 AM

I live in Toronto where rates would be on the high-side and pay 1140 (With tax) for full coverage with a load of tickets and I'm 27.
I'm insured with RBC Ins.
C ya's.

Green 2001 ZX6r Ninja, fully loaded with a/c, etc.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 03:51 PM

State farm probably has the best rates...they don't care what kind of motorcycle it is, just the displacement. Problem is, you have to already have an existing plan with them (either your house or your car) before they will cover you for your motorcycle. Also, generally once you hit 25, your rates drop (because of statistics or some such). Other than the ones already mentioned, you might also try TDCanada Trust or J.D. Smith Insurance http://www.jdsmithinsurance.com/

ALWAYS call around. Call around, find the best rate, and you can even bargain the price down a little.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 05:26 PM

Out of curiousity is Ontario no-fault insurance? Because it seems somewhat cheaper here in Alberta...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 05:57 PM

Yeah, Ontario has a no-fault insurance system.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 08:58 AM

Thumbs up Insurance

Hey all,
I'm new to this group, but can offer another perspective.
I'm 50, and have no tickets/moving violations ever since getting my licence. I have one minor auto bumper bender ($600, not a "moving violation") in the past two years. I've been riding for 22 years, and bought a '02 Kawasaki ZZ-R1200.
State Farm told me outright they didn't want my money, period.
One "accident" and you're out. No, they didn't want my house/auto insurance either... (Bite me State Farm)...
My current agent tried another company that quoted $1459 per year for everything with $1000 deductable.
My dealer, Niagara Race Crafters in Virgil, Ontario, suggested I try Primmum Ins. They don't consider your auto indiscretions when quoting your bike insurance...pretty cool! They quoted $960 for the year, same coverage, same deductible.
Save your money...call around.
Good luck.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:22 PM

Back around '89 there was only ONE--

---insurance firm that would handle m/cs in Ontario & then they said they would not insure "Bullet like motorbikes" & that means sportbikes.
I could be wrong on the above, but that is the info we received here in B.C. Apparently things were straghtened out, BUT it does point to what can happen to those that feel wheelies & stoppies are simply part of life in m/cing AND are dinging in the bikes & collecting on Collision Insurance.
Insurance firms that do NOT want to insure sportbikes can give a price of 7 grand to turn away owners of sportbikes.

Remember all the others on the road are crazy & out to kill you.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by Flyer
My dealer, Niagara Race Crafters in Virgil, Ontario, suggested I try Primmum Ins. They don't consider your auto indiscretions when quoting your bike insurance...pretty cool! They quoted $960 for the year, same coverage, same deductible.
Save your money...call around.
Good luck.
I have Primmum too, I pay $250/yr w/o collision for a 17-year-old kid on a 3-year-old 750cc bike...not bad if you ask me. That's about a third the cost of the cheapest the agent could get for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode