DALLAS, TX: Looking for a bike (I'll explain why I posted here, below) - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

DALLAS, TX: Looking for a bike (I'll explain why I posted here, below)

I'd like some advice on a bike and the reason I posted it in this forum is because I figued you guys would be more familiar with the terrain here more so than someone up in Maine for example.

I live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. We have lot of straight-a-ways (I-35, George Bush Freeway, etc). We also have winds that other parts of the country don't have... Basically, our environment is different here than others. With that, I'm asking for recommendations for bikes that would be good given the above information...

About Me:
I'm 32, 5' 10", 140lbs. I'm a small guy and need a bike that I can touch the ground on and be able to "man-handle the bike" when I'm wheeling it around the garage and what not.

My experience:
In high school, I had a 100cc street bike of some sort for two years before I got my car (I cannot remember what the bike was for the life of me). In college, I got a EX500 which I also had for two years (only sold the bike because I was dirt poor and needed to buy books). It has been about 8 years since I'v ridden. Before the EX500, I took the safety courses and will take another one again soon, and perhaps even the advanced one, too.

What I'm looking for:
I'm looking for something to go on for "bike nights" around the metroplex as well as something to go on some of those longer road trips (300-400miles) and probably a daily commuter when the weather is not 100 freaking degrees outside (I commute 30 miles one way). I've narrowed it down to either the YZFR6 or the YZF600R but am open to other considerations. I've read all the literature on the two bikes but I'd like opinions for other members who have 600 cc bikes, too. I'd like to know what you are riding (year/make/model), how cross-winds affect you, what your crusing speed is, what your cruising distance is, how well the windshield works for you, etc. For me, the R6 sitting angle/position is comfortable but the added weight of the 600R might be better for those longer road trips I'd like to go on. It has been suggested to me that perhaps an R6 with a taller windshield might be good for me... see the delima?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cal

Last edited by Xcalibur; 08-19-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:33 AM

If you plan on road trips I'd suggest a standart. SV650/1000, Z750/1000, 599/919, FZR600/1000.
Highway cruising on a 600 is fine. It take of getting use to having the engine spin at 7k rpm, but its a psychological thing. Its not going to explode. Its going to be just fine, it just makes a strange noise.
My last bike was a z1000 (I live in west texas) and I could do 800 mile days on it (also it wasnt pleasant). I since bought a zx10, and 300-400 miles is the max I will ride in a day now. Its taller, abit harder to handle, but lots of fun.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
If you plan on road trips I'd suggest a standart. SV650/1000, Z750/1000, 599/919, FZR600/1000.
Highway cruising on a 600 is fine. It take of getting use to having the engine spin at 7k rpm, but its a psychological thing. Its not going to explode. Its going to be just fine, it just makes a strange noise.
My last bike was a z1000 (I live in west texas) and I could do 800 mile days on it (also it wasnt pleasant). I since bought a zx10, and 300-400 miles is the max I will ride in a day now. Its taller, abit harder to handle, but lots of fun.
Good feedback, thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha dealership...

Well, during lunch today, I stopped by the store, yet another time... It is almost as bad as going to Home Depot! Anyway, I like the R6 sooooo much but after sitting on several of the bikes, I think the 600r is going to be the way I go... Any input is still welcomed though.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 PM

Its all about what you like most.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 PM

Given your criteria, I'd say go with a Yamaha YZF600R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode