Sportbike Newbie - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Sportbike Newbie

Ok, so I've only recently been introduced to the whole sportbike concept and I'm fascinated. Admittedly, I'll try anything - once, but I don't know where to begin.

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 08:52 AM

Ya post up a pic
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Hey. Like I always say ... ask & u shall receive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asset.jpg (6.0 KB, 249 views)

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

(& yes, I realize you were being a smartass ... I just happen to like smartasses)

u lucked out ....

now .... some info please
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fantasy_Girl
Hey. Like I always say ... ask & u shall receive

Well, I guess we owe you some answers now. Can you be more specific, though? So much depends on your age, prior experience with motorcycles (if any), your height, etc.

Everyone would probably agree with me that MSF class would be a great place to start. Which immediately makes me a hippocrite because I did not personally take one, but rather learned with a friend, who is a long time rider. I will contend, though, that my learning was much slower because of that.

There, that's my stab at your question. Now ask something more specific, and you will get all the advice from this board that you can handle (and then some).

BTW, keep those pics coming!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 PM

Where to begin...

Just get a bike, getting a race replica for your first bike is a bad idea.

There are roughly seven hundred and thirty million threads in regard to what is the best bike to start on, so there's info there.

I wouldn't get a race replica, and if money and or pride is a concern, I wouldn't get anything at all that was new, because one's first sportbike will get scuffed up a bit, not always full-on wrecked, just little drops or such.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Keep posting pics, and we'll keep answering questions..... but, next time, just a picture of you will be fine, you don't have to dig up a dirty pic from the net for us.

As far as where to start... hands down, without a question, Take an MSF course.

If you are here in the Phoenix area, I would recommend Ride Smart training with Don Orton.

http://www.ridesmartmotorcycle.com/
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Ahem ...

#1 - hey buddy, that IS me thank you

#2 - uh huh ... height, weight, age, etc., etc., sounds like an attempt at a pick up line, but I'll play: 5'2", <130 lbs, between 28 & 33, located w/ in the state of OK,

#3 - as for my experience w/ bikes ... hmm, that's a bit tougher. Does riding on the back count? I've ridden a dirt bike a few times, and a street bike once - in a parking lot - doesn't really count, right?

omigosh you mean actually buy one before i know what the hell i'm doing?

Questions: Classes are good? 'hands on' experience is good? I'm a bit petite so I don't want a bike that going to overpower me while I'm still trying to figure out wtf i'm doing

oh, and, pics are in short supply ... but I'll do what I can
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:48 PM

Well if you rode a dirtbike and a streetbike you have the clutch down pat. so just sign up take the saftey coarse and go pick out a bike that suits your needs.

All bikes can be lowered to acomodate your size Just make sure you can get your feet down and hold the bike up if you have a panic stop that is where most beginers drop they`re ride.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks sonicsbomb

The clutch thing definitely is not an issue. The issue is the "oh shit i have no idea what i'm doing" thing but it sounds like

1 - sign up for the safety course
2 - get a bike that suits my needs

Besides making sure I can get my feet down & hold up the bike ... what other needs do I have exactly

Last edited by Fantasy_Girl; 03-16-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode